Game Set And Match - Brexit Success Story - No Chickens Coming Home To Roost - World's 4th Largest Exporter

Augustus

The UK has become the world’s fourth largest exporter thanks to a boost in services, fresh trade figures have shown.

It comes after the UK ranked seventh in 2021, moving up three places in the figures for exporting goods and services in 2022, the United Nations (UN) has confirmed.

According to the latest statistics from the UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), which leads on global trade for the UN, the UK has overtaken France, Netherlands and Japan to take fourth position, behind only China, the US, and Germany.

https://www.cityam.com/services-trade-sees-uk-become-worlds-fourth-largest-exporter/

You are truly economically illiterate. It explains your support for Brexit.

The increase in value of British exports over the last year is a consequence of the fall in the value of the pound following the disastrous Truss/Kwarteng budget. The collapse in the pound makes British exports cheaper, which is good news. But it has also increased the cost of imported goods, or goods sold in a foreign currency, such as petrol.

Of course increased exports are good. But to be honest, irrelevant unless compared with UK imports. And though we are the fourth largest exporter, we import significantly more than we export.

The sole benefit of the Truss/Kwarteng budget does not outweigh the damage done to the UK economy through the higher inflation rates and interest rates it caused.

The higher export values weren't a benefit of Brexit and are not a benefit without cost.

But to the economically illiterate it must be difficult to understand. That probably explains your desperation to find some good news to attribute to Brexit 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alteredbhoy said:

The increase in value of British exports over the last year is a consequence of the fall in the value of the pound following the disastrous Truss/Kwarteng budget. The collapse in the pound makes British exports cheaper, which is good news. But it has also increased the cost of imported goods, or goods sold in a foreign currency, such as petrol.

Of course increased exports are good. But to be honest, irrelevant unless compared with UK imports. And though we are the fourth largest exporter, we import significantly more than we export.

The sole benefit of the Truss/Kwarteng budget does not outweigh the damage done to the UK economy through the higher inflation rates and interest rates it caused.

The higher export values weren't a benefit of Brexit and are not a benefit without cost.

But to the economically illiterate it must be difficult to understand. That probably explains your desperation to find some good news to attribute to Brexit 

The mutterings of a loser...

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, rowlf said:

The mutterings of a loser...

The words of a fool who has nothing to say and does not understand what has been said, but has to respond.

38 minutes ago, Alteredbhoy said:

What a load of sour grapes.  You need to man up and acknowledge Brexit is a big success because it's paved the way for trade barriers to been removed making it easier to export goods and services.  It most certainly isn't the disaster the undemocratic remainers falsely claim.  

• Like 2

Just now, Augustus said:

What a load of sour grapes.  You need to man up and acknowledge Brexit is a big success because it's paved the way for trade barriers to been removed making it easier to export goods and services.  It most certainly isn't the disaster the undemocratic remainers falsely claim.  

Absolute illiterate garbage.

It's placed a trade barrier down the Irish Sea. Goods expired to the EU have tariffs applied. Businesses trading with the EU (like SHQ) have folded.

And you ignore it all to justify your zealotry.

After much posturing about UK reclaiming its borders after Brexit, the EU announces a new migrant system for its members, sharing responsibility for accepting migrants but crucially negotiating as a bloc for returning irregular migrants.  

The UK has signed an agreement a single country to return irregular migrants since Brexit.  Now the EU is about to negotiate agreements with all nations on behalf of its 27 members.  A deal we will have no part of…

The Brexit you all wanted ?

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Augustus said:

What an odd comment! Have you read David's posts about the reasons why SHQ was forced to close? Do you realise that his experience was not unique? 

Clearly, you are not someone who needs to travel, for business or pleasure. 

UK passport holders warned to check expiry date after hundreds stopped from flying | Euronews

Oh yes, now I remember. David Cameron, the idiot who was behind the referendum, was surprised that so many layabouts (beneficiaries) actually took the trouble to go get off of their couches in front of their TV sets and go to a polling station and vote to leave the EU.

He wasn't expecting that!!!

Were you perhaps one of those couch potatoes?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Augustus said:

It most certainly isn't the disaster the undemocratic remainers falsely claim.  

It's interesting that you define people whose views differ from yours as being "undemocratic" for having the gall to state those views.

We had a referendum. Despite its flaws, it was implemented and we have left the EU. There is nothing "undemocratic" in believing that it was a mistake and saying so.

In fact it is totally "undemocratic" to suggest that it is.

But I have often stated that I find your views to be fascist. Seeking to prevent criticism of a view you support and the curtailment of freedom of expression is such a behaviour.

To be honest I said after it was clear that we were leaving that EU, that I expected the inevitable move to rejoin would take 20 to 30 years to come to fruition. I still hold that view. I fully expect that the next Government under Kier Starmer will be much more amenable to rapprochement with the EU, to the benefit of the UK economy (you won't understand this, being economically illiterate). I fully expect that there will be commitment in the Labour Party manifesto in 2029 for opening negotiations with the EU to rejoin the Customs Union and the Single Market.

Our rejoining in the 2040s looks likely, when most of the people who voted for Brexit will have died.

Edited by Alteredbhoy
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Alteredbhoy said:

I fully expect that there will be commitment in the Labour Party manifesto in 2029 for opening negotiations with the EU to rejoin the Customs Union and the Single Market.

Our rejoining in the 2040s looks likely, when most of the people who voted for Brexit will have died.

I would imagine that by the time 2029 comes our way there won't be a Brexit or an EU. Although, by that time you'll have your wish.... to be completely controlled. But I don't think you'll like the fit of the shoe.

3 hours ago, rowlf said:

I would imagine that by the time 2029 comes our way there won't be a Brexit or an EU. Although, by that time you'll have your wish.... to be completely controlled. But I don't think you'll like the fit of the shoe.

Well I imagine that by 2029, I'll be considering retirement. Joe Biden will be dead and Kamala Harris will be the first female POTUS. DJT will still be in prison. rowlf's carers will be mixing his dementia medication with a combination of LSD and hormone replacement drugs and laughing at him while he rages about migrants while putting on his bra.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, rowlf said:

After the UK voted to leave the EU, several pro-Brexit posters on this forum predicted that the EU would implode within 5 years. It hasn't happened. Hasn't even come close. In fact Brexit and the invasion of Ukraine has strengthened EU Unity.

But as ever, you talk about things from a position of ignorance.

Here we go again. SHQ probably did die because of Brexit but on the other hand who knows whether it would have survived through the high business rates and energy costs. Then we have the fact that many women no longer wear stockings or tights, my friend who regularly picks up his grand children from school was commenting the other day that the current fashion is leggings with white socks other the top. Then we have casual wear to work and working from home. so another reason. A quick scan for tights or stockings shows it is a very competitive market. Where SHQ scored was it was one of the few suppliers of fully fashioned hosiery, but there again the price of those has rocketed in the last few years so again the market will not be that big. Many businesses fail, loads of model shops have closed, pubs closed, most of the classic bike shops where I used to get spares for my Triumphs no longer exist, many blame high business rates, interest rates and costs of energy. Go down the High Street retailers like Dorothy Perkins, Debenhams and many more. My local shopping centre is on its knees, is that because of Brexit, no, more probably Amazon. There is also the point that the amount of spare money around at the moment is limited, many of those high paid industrial jobs have disappeared, replaced by minimum wage equivalents.

I saw that article about the EU agreeing to return migrants, which I did think was interesting but there again like us it will take years for it to actually work, if it ever does. Their original policy was stupid anyway, now they are trying to backtrack as fast as they can.

One of my old work colleagues highlighted a point, that certain MPs wanted Brexit because they were fed up with Cameron and I wondered as he was saying it, if that could also be true for the Brexit vote. We will never know but it is no good moaning about it now, there are more important things caused by Covid and the Ukrainian/Israeli wars.

Are the lack of NHS dentists or GP because of Brexit, I doubt it, although it was easier to get a medical degree in Poland because the medical profession limits the number of students that can train in this country.

This topic comes up over and over again, yes Brexit has probably hit our export trade to the EU but there again the way our industry is slowly dying, in a few years time there will be little to export anyway. We did say for for Brexit to work, it would take very many years. We are nowhere near that yet.

On 11/04/2024 at 07:41, c_cubed51 said:

What an odd comment! Have you read David's posts about the reasons why SHQ was forced to close? Do you realise that his experience was not unique? 

Clearly, you are not someone who needs to travel, for business or pleasure. 

UK passport holders warned to check expiry date after hundreds stopped from flying | Euronews

Oh yes, now I remember. David Cameron, the idiot who was behind the referendum, was surprised that so many layabouts (beneficiaries) actually took the trouble to go get off of their couches in front of their TV sets and go to a polling station and vote to leave the EU.

He wasn't expecting that!!!

Were you perhaps one of those couch potatoes?

A poor contribution.  Yes I've read David's post.  The reason why the SHQ business failed was because of a cash flow problem.  David stated his business had to pay upfront to obtain stock post Brexit.  Any business that relies on credit is a risky business model.  If SHQ had been a viable business then it would not have needed credit facilities from EU suppliers to survive post Brexit.   

David Cameron deserves credit for giving the UK electorate the choice of whether to remain or leave the EU.  By calling David Cameron an idiot indicates you have no respect for democracy and would enjoy your life much better in a dictatorship. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Augustus said:

A poor contribution.  Yes I've read David's post.  The reason why the SHQ business failed was because of a cash flow problem.  David stated his business had to pay upfront to obtain stock post Brexit.  Any business that relies on credit is a risky business model.  If SHQ had been a viable business then it would not have needed credit facilities from EU suppliers to survive post Brexit.   

David Cameron deserves credit for giving the UK electorate the choice of whether to remain or leave the EU.  By calling David Cameron an idiot indicates you have no respect for democracy and would enjoy your life much better in a dictatorship. 

You show your ignorance. Many businesses rely on credit. Most investment is funded by credit.

You also seem desperate to criticise others for expressing any opinion with which you disagree. You don't seem to understand the concepts of freedom of speech and thought.

4 minutes ago, Alteredbhoy said:

You show your ignorance. Many businesses rely on credit. Most investment is funded by credit.

You also seem desperate to criticise others for expressing any opinion with which you disagree. You don't seem to understand the concepts of freedom of speech and thought.

A poor contribution.  Yes many businesses rely on credit to purchase expensive new machinery and bigger warehouse facilities.  SHQ was not a manufacturer and didn't need a big warehouse to store stockings.  SHQ was an online business that was trading for about 20 years.  During those 20 years if SHQ  had been a viable business it would have built sufficient cash reserves to self finance buying stock and should have been in a position to negotiate big discounts for paying for stockings upfront.  There is no point in beating around the bush because SHQ was basically a cottage business that my Grandma could have run leaving her enough time to go to Bingo every day.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Augustus said:

A poor contribution.  Yes many businesses rely on credit to purchase expensive new machinery and bigger warehouse facilities.  SHQ was not a manufacturer and didn't need a big warehouse to store stockings.  SHQ was an online business that was trading for about 20 years.  During those 20 years if SHQ  had been a viable business it would have built sufficient cash reserves to self finance buying stock and should have been in a position to negotiate big discounts for paying for stockings upfront.  There is no point in beating around the bush because SHQ was basically a cottage business that my Grandma could have run leaving her enough time to go to Bingo every day.

Haha.

A man whose economic illiteracy is only surpassed by his willingness to talk about matters about which he is totally ignorant.

9 hours ago, Augustus said:

There is no point in beating around the bush because SHQ was basically a cottage business that my Grandma could have run leaving her enough time to go to Bingo every day.

They do say that an Englishman is very good at insulting people in clever ways. You have managed to insult David, and your poor old grandmother, too. You do insult her too often, A.

Kiwis and South Africans call a spade a shovel! David Cameron was an idiot, because he should have set the bar higher than 50% - usually a referendum of that importance carries a 66.6% level for either the yes or no vote to prevail. Had he done so, the outcome would have been indecisive, and the UK would still be a member of the EU. Which would have been very good for the UK - the waste of political and economic energy it caused, was breathtaking!

And David Cameron was a coward. Instead of accepting the outcome of the referendum and taking charge of its implementation, he ran away!!!

And finally, he is back in a governmental role to which he was not elected. The Tory Party is being run by a bunch of idiots who need to be thrown out by the electorate - which they will be at the nest general election. The local elections on 2 May will prove that.

2 hours ago, c_cubed51 said:

They do say that an Englishman is very good at insulting people in clever ways. You have managed to insult David, and your poor old grandmother, too. You do insult her too often, A.

Kiwis and South Africans call a spade a shovel! David Cameron was an idiot, because he should have set the bar higher than 50% - usually a referendum of that importance carries a 66.6% level for either the yes or no vote to prevail. Had he done so, the outcome would have been indecisive, and the UK would still be a member of the EU. Which would have been very good for the UK - the waste of political and economic energy it caused, was breathtaking!

And David Cameron was a coward. Instead of accepting the outcome of the referendum and taking charge of its implementation, he ran away!!!

And finally, he is back in a governmental role to which he was not elected. The Tory Party is being run by a bunch of idiots who need to be thrown out by the electorate - which they will be at the nest general election. The local elections on 2 May will prove that.

I'm not insulting anyone.  I'm just calling it as it is.  It's outrageous to say I'm insulting my Grandma.  Yes Brexit was a contributing factor for the closure of the SHQ online shop.  But as my Grandma used to say "Don't over-egg the pudding"

The 1975 European Community membership referendum was a simple majority contest.  The 2014 Scottish Independence Referendum was a simple majority contest. You're wrong to state usually a referendum of that importance carries a 66.6% threshold.  Private organisations such as golf clubs have been known to set thresholds above 50%  when voting on issues such as allowing female membership.  Setting thresholds above 50% is an affront to true democracy and is effectively gerrymandering.

David Cameron was at fault for walking away after the 2016 EU referendum result.  He should have triggered Article 50 on 24th June 2016 which would have avoided much of the fallout that happened for a number of years in the UK.  

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

I'm not insulting anyone.  I'm just calling it as it is.  It's outrageous to say I'm insulting my Grandma.  Yes Brexit was a contributing factor for the closure of the SHQ online shop.  But as my Grandma used to say "Don't over-egg the pudding"

The 1975 European Community membership referendum was a simple majority contest.  The 2014 Scottish Independence Referendum was a simple majority contest. You're wrong to state usually a referendum of that importance carries a 66.6% threshold.  Private organisations such as golf clubs have been known to set thresholds above 50%  when voting on issues such as allowing female membership.  Setting thresholds above 50% is an affront to true democracy and is effectively gerrymandering.

David Cameron was at fault for walking away after the 2016 EU referendum result.  He should have triggered Article 50 on 24th June 2016 which would have avoided much of the fallout that happened for a number of years in the UK.  

Is anyone else sick and tired of August mentioning his imaginary Grandma?

4 hours ago, Augustus said:

I rest my case.

5 hours ago, Augustus said:

What an absolutely ridiculous attempt at re-writing history to justify your own view.

Let's imagine for a moment that Cameron had done as you said and both remained as PM and triggered article 50 immediately. We'd have gone into a negotiation with the EU who would have known that Cameron was negotiating for something he didn't want and on behalf of a nation that had narrowly rejected his view. He would have been in an incredibly weak position at the negotiating table.

Not only that, but he had a wafer thin majority in the House of Commons, but the Tory Party under Cameron had a far greater number of Remain voting MPs than there were in Theresa May's time (after the 2017 election). Cameron would have been much more likely to negotiate the same sort of deal with the EU that May achieved, and much more likely to have got it through the House.

The Brexit wing of his Party, smaller at the time would have been furious. The Tory Civil War would have continued unabated, but with the moderates still in charge and the UK outside the EU. It would have destroyed the Tory Party and in the next General Election, I think it's quite likely that the Tories would have lost badly, as they will this time instead.

So we would be outside the EU, but probably still be in the Single Market and Customs Union. And Jeremy Corbyn would be PM.

Is that really what you wanted?

Or is it just that you find it very easy to criticise everything and everyone without any real idea about how things might be improved?

Edited by Alteredbhoy

17 hours ago, Alteredbhoy said:

What an absolutely ridiculous attempt at re-writing history to justify your own view.

Let's imagine for a moment that Cameron had done as you said and both remained as PM and triggered article 50 immediately. We'd have gone into a negotiation with the EU who would have known that Cameron was negotiating for something he didn't want and on behalf of a nation that had narrowly rejected his view. He would have been in an incredibly weak position at the negotiating table.

Not only that, but he had a wafer thin majority in the House of Commons, but the Tory Party under Cameron had a far greater number of Remain voting MPs than there were in Theresa May's time (after the 2017 election). Cameron would have been much more likely to negotiate the same sort of deal with the EU that May achieved, and much more likely to have got it through the House.

The Brexit wing of his Party, smaller at the time would have been furious. The Tory Civil War would have continued unabated, but with the moderates still in charge and the UK outside the EU. It would have destroyed the Tory Party and in the next General Election, I think it's quite likely that the Tories would have lost badly, as they will this time instead.

So we would be outside the EU, but probably still be in the Single Market and Customs Union. And Jeremy Corbyn would be PM.

Is that really what you wanted?

Or is it just that you find it very easy to criticise everything and everyone without any real idea about how things might be improved?

The poster made a valid point about David Cameron which I agree with.

The delay of triggering Article 50 weakened the UK's negotiating position.  The failure of parliament to immediately support the democratic choice of the UK electorate weakened the UK's negotiating position.

It would have been a betrayal of the electorate if the UK had remained in the single market and customs union and act of appeasement to folk such as yourself who have not respect for democracy. 

20 hours ago, dappi said:

Is anyone else sick and tired of August mentioning his imaginary Grandma?

I was blessed by having a Grandma who had wisdom second to none.  I will continue to quote her words of wisdom when ever I judge appropriate in honour of her memory. 

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

I was blessed by having a Grandma who had wisdom second to none.  I will continue to quote her words of wisdom when ever I judge appropriate in honour of her memory. 

It's a shame she didn't teach you that if you have nothing nice to say, it is better to say nothing. Or if you don't know what you are talking about, to keep your mouth shut.

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

The poster made a valid point about David Cameron which I agree with.

The delay of triggering Article 50 weakened the UK's negotiating position.  The failure of parliament to immediately support the democratic choice of the UK electorate weakened the UK's negotiating position.

It would have been a betrayal of the electorate if the UK had remained in the single market and customs union and act of appeasement to folk such as yourself who have not respect for democracy. 

It seems that those in favour of Brexit continue to lie, even after the event.

During the referendum Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage and Daniel Hannan all made play that leaving the EU did not necessarily mean leaving the Customs Union or the Single Market. They all advocated for our trading on either the Swiss model or the Norwegian model, both of which are in either the Customs Union or the Single Market.

Now apparently, Tudor reckons it was always a foregone conclusion and to think otherwise would have been appeasement. Even though the leaders of the Brexit campaign did not think so at the time.

And as for Cameron being in a stronger position to negotiate a deal, that is simply for the birds. He was unable to negotiate a deal with the EU when we were in and he stated our continued membership required it. So why anyone would think his negotiating ability would have been strengthened having lost the referendum is anybody's guess. Except that Tudor can use it as an excuse for why the UK has been unable to secure the "easiest trade deal in history" despite "all the cards being in our hands".

We are temporarily outside the EU. But it will only be temporary.

3 hours ago, Alteredbhoy said:

It seems that those in favour of Brexit continue to lie, even after the event.

During the referendum Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage and Daniel Hannan all made play that leaving the EU did not necessarily mean leaving the Customs Union or the Single Market. They all advocated for our trading on either the Swiss model or the Norwegian model, both of which are in either the Customs Union or the Single Market.

Now apparently, Tudor reckons it was always a foregone conclusion and to think otherwise would have been appeasement. Even though the leaders of the Brexit campaign did not think so at the time.

And as for Cameron being in a stronger position to negotiate a deal, that is simply for the birds. He was unable to negotiate a deal with the EU when we were in and he stated our continued membership required it. So why anyone would think his negotiating ability would have been strengthened having lost the referendum is anybody's guess. Except that Tudor can use it as an excuse for why the UK has been unable to secure the "easiest trade deal in history" despite "all the cards being in our hands".

We are temporarily outside the EU. But it will only be temporary.

Another deluded nonsense contribution from the most deluded clueless contributor in the history of the SHQ discussion forums.  The EU just like you is well past its sell buy date.  The future for the UK is the Trans Pacific Partnership.  The World has moved on since the creation of what was once know as the Common Market. 

I can’t believe we haven’t seized on these wonderful opportunities presented by Brexit and signed that free trade agreement with the DPRK… although I’m certain Pyongyang has a Greggs already.  Poundland will no doubt follow.  Fingers crossed for a Wetherspoons too.

The EU don’t know what they are missing…

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jessica In Heels said:

I can’t believe we haven’t seized on these wonderful opportunities presented by Brexit and signed that free trade agreement with the DPRK… although I’m certain Pyongyang has a Greggs already.  Poundland will no doubt follow.  Fingers crossed for a Wetherspoons too.

The EU don’t know what they are missing…

More words from another  loser with a chip on its shoulder.

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

Another deluded nonsense contribution from the most deluded clueless contributor in the history of the SHQ discussion forums.  The EU just like you is well past its sell buy date.  The future for the UK is the Trans Pacific Partnership.  The World has moved on since the creation of what was once know as the Common Market. 

More economic illiteracy.

6 minutes ago, Jessica In Heels said:

That’s quite reassuring.  I’m certain Granny-Augustus knows a confused, lost soul when she sees one up close.

Grandma Augustus always used have a good laugh at men pretending to be women. I must have inherited her trait.

Just now, Jessica In Heels said:

Good to know you looked that up just for me…

I'm the most famous known anti transvestite poster and do not treat you any different to any other confused man pretending to be a woman contributor.  You're deluded if you think I have to look up anything for you. 

1 minute ago, Augustus said:

I'm the most famous known anti transvestite poster and do not treat you any different to any other confused man pretending to be a woman contributor.  You're deluded if you think I have to look up anything for you. 

So you have that episode saved…or we’re watching it anyways ?  Hope you had fun …..

11 hours ago, Augustus said:

Very Christ-like. I'm sure grandma would have approved. Not!!!

Edited by c_cubed51