Shop bought (e.g. supermarket or dept. store) stockings

In my personal experience at the time of typing this I would say not really, although I suppose it depends on what you're looking for.

If you're looking for everyday stockings then the supermarket do have stockings, generally very stretchy and with a plain top, the lace tops can have fancy tops.

M & S used to be my go to place for really nice stockings almost rhts and sometimes very nice seamed stockings, they appear to have gone now, I suppose diminishing sales.

Then there's the "proper" stockings the Eleganti & Gios and Cervins ( there are more companies offering this type of stockings ) these are in the form of RHTs & FFs and are to be honest totally superb, although expect to pay at or about £ 25 for FFs, some brands are more & at or about £ 15 ish for RHTs, however once your wear these stockings, everything else pales into insignificance.

Just treat them with care, having a ladder in this type of stockings is a crime 

• Like 3

Mrs JS used to buy stockings from M&S or John Lewis for going out.  She also wore Pretty Polly Galaxy brand that was available from supermarkets, chemists etc and Tu brand stockings from Sainsbury's for work back in the day as they made with sizes for longer leg length.  Unfortunately these are not readily available now so tends to wear Charnos elegance nowadays if she wants  sandal heel and sheer toe stockings otherwise its RHT or FFS.

• Like 1

I agree with what others have said that sadly stockings are just not available in the high street stores or supermarkets these days. I’ve only seen hold ups and as far as I’m aware M&S don’t even sell stockings online now. Silky brand are cheap and in my limited experience are ok if you’re average height(not over 5ft 6/7)  weight etc as only come in one size generally.These are available online. I’ve also found these need to be hand washed too. I’ve got a pair with of their “seamer” seamed stockings they have Lycra so aren’t traditional if that’s what you’re after but they were nice enough. I’ve no idea why hold ups are more popular they aren’t as reliable or durable as stockings! In my experience they have a short life when the silicone eventually gives up 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, darkangel66 said:

I agree with what others have said that sadly stockings are just not available in the high street stores or supermarkets these days. I’ve only seen hold ups and as far as I’m aware M&S don’t even sell stockings online now

I have seen both stockings and hold ups available in M&S at Meadowhall the last time I went there which was a couple of months ago.  Also looking online  stockings are still available.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hosiery Index said:

Though what hope of the return of High Street stockings when at no point in the QA process or in store is it noticed that Hosiery is misspelt!!

IMG-20240331-WA0004.jpg

"Super cosy" and "tights" - now there's an oxymoron.

• Haha 1