Sign in to follow this  
Vintage Enthusiast

Vintage Non-Stretch Nylons

6 posts in this topic

Hi there. 

I am new to the forum. My first post! 

I have been looking high and low for a certain type of tights an ex girlfriend used to buy. They were a sheer-to-waist style, thin seams and no obvious panty reinforcement. But the main thing about them was they they were a non-stretch type and had a very different and slightly rough feel.

The beauty of these tights was that they looked incredibly thin and were the hottest tights I have ever seen. They looked like they were far less than 10 denier and they had a really expensive vintage look about them. 

I think I can narrow the brand down to either Couture or Pretty Polly. but I might be wrong there. I wonder if they are still made? 

So my question is, does anybody know these tights and if/where I might still be able to buy them? If not, what would be a good replacement?

Thanks. 

The inside out feel. Try Holly by Gatta 8 denier sheer to waist, very reasonable price I think you will be pleased with the result

Thanks jamesandlouise. Appreciated. 

Yes, that inside-out feel can be really sexy! 

I'm sure the Holly and Gatta tights are great, but they are not the ones I was hoping to find. These non-stretch nylons were totally sheer throughout. No T band. No reinforcement just below the waistband, in fact no reinforced anything! Just the same super-thin nylon material throughout. There were very think seams which ran up the middle on at the front and rear of the body, separated by a cotton gusset which was easy to cut out. 

Edited by Vintage Enthusiast

They sound like vintage "principal boy" tights made for the stage before the advent of stretch lycra hosiery. But where you would find such a pair now, I have no idea.

Thanks Ursula.

I think you are right. Vintage dancewear for the stage, etc. 

I can only hope that there is a private seller on Ebay or somewhere like that which might have a stock of them at some point.

I remember these tights being on sale in high street department stores about 20 years ago. They were very common. 

This image is a fairly good likeness of the kind of material I am looking for, (Note the wrinkling around the ankle.) but they have to be sheer throughout. 

Speaking of the inside-out feel, although these were quite rough feeling, they were incredibly smooth when inside-out. 

Thanks again. 

57_5e3f1c58-4901-4282-a7f8-10b240cc2703_