rowlf

Requiem for the Boatman

43 posts in this topic

I think we've finally succeeded in ridding the OTF forum of a diabolical unscrupulous individual known as the Boatman. Although he did have in his possession a variety of 'nom de plumes'. Oh how he attempted to deceive us members by posting on this forum incognito and maliciously and savagely thrusting and parrying before my fellow members had the wits about them to mobilize counter measures. Oh yes we assembled a counter attack, but not before this devious fellow inflicted numerous injuries as he cut and slashed his way through the most vulnerable parts of our bodies.

But we can rest easy tonight. Once again we may open our windows at night to partake of a little fresh air. We can rest peaceably for now. Tomorrow, day break will allow us to awaken to a glorious morning. The kids will once again be allowed to go outside and frolic with the other urchins, the birds will do their thing, now that the threat of the Boatman is over.

Thank God that we're free! Free at last!

3 hours ago, rowlf said:

I think we've finally succeeded in ridding the OTF forum of a diabolical unscrupulous individual known as the Boatman. Although he did have in his possession a variety of 'nom de plumes'. Oh how he attempted to deceive us members by posting on this forum incognito and maliciously and savagely thrusting and parrying before my fellow members had the wits about them to mobilize counter measures. Oh yes we assembled a counter attack, but not before this devious fellow inflicted numerous injuries as he cut and slashed his way through the most vulnerable parts of our bodies.

But we can rest easy tonight. Once again we may open our windows at night to partake of a little fresh air. We can rest peaceably for now. Tomorrow, day break will allow us to awaken to a glorious morning. The kids will once again be allowed to go outside and frolic with the other urchins, the birds will do their thing, now that the threat of the Boatman is over.

Thank God that we're free! Free at last!

What rubbish are you spouting now? He'll be back faster than I can paint my toenails.

Just another of @rowlf smokescreens :58674bf614695_EmojiSmiley-42: 

Next we’ll get the ‘bring back boatman’ drivel from one of his trusted admirers / carers - telling us how harmless, kind and lovely he really is!! :58674bdeceb55_EmojiSmiley-03: 

This past week has certainly had a ‘different feel’ about the place - let’s hope 🤞🏻 it remains that way :58674c1aabbb8_EmojiSmiley-106:

4 hours ago, stockingsadmirer68 said:

Just another of @rowlf smokescreens :58674bf614695_EmojiSmiley-42: 

Next we’ll get the ‘bring back boatman’ drivel from one of his trusted admirers / carers - telling us how harmless, kind and lovely he really is!! :58674bdeceb55_EmojiSmiley-03: 

This past week has certainly had a ‘different feel’ about the place - let’s hope 🤞🏻 it remains that way :58674c1aabbb8_EmojiSmiley-106:

If this post isn't the best damned endorsement for getting him back, I don't know what is...…….. and I could give you an idea about what to do with your 'thumb', but you probably already know!:58674be5313cc_EmojiSmiley-12:

5 hours ago, Trinity said:

What rubbish are you spouting now? He'll be back faster than I can paint my toenails.

He does seem to be a little like that Energizer bunny. D'ya think?

35 minutes ago, rowlf said:

If this post isn't the best damned endorsement for getting him back, I don't know what is...…….. 

And how’d you work that one out Einstein? 👴🏻🤡

34 minutes ago, rowlf said:

Far from it 🤡 more like a tortoise  🐢 🤣😂🤣

On 15/08/2018 at 12:51 AM, rowlf said:

He's a bunny alright. 

And I thought you meant he'd popped his clogs.

On 14/08/2018 at 8:56 AM, stockingsadmirer68 said:

This past week has certainly had a ‘different feel’ about the place - let’s hope it remains that way

This is a very astute comment. The 'different feel' is very apparent as the OT forum is now a waterless desert without this character in any of his alleged disguises.

But taking this assumption a step further, and that's all it is, an assumption. If this Boatman person is as forthright as some make him out to be, the question must be asked, "Has he ever been away?" He may be in fact, watching the forums under a different name and having a chuckle at the comments here.

He does, in fact, appear to have far more friends than those from the other side of the fence who just lob stones occasionally but never succeed in hitting anyone.

Oh well it was pleasant while it lasted. Another account to add to the block list. 

1 hour ago, Alteredbhoy said:

Oh well it was pleasant while it lasted. Another account to add to the block list. 

:58674be6ca98e_EmojiSmiley-15: You know 👍🏻

2 hours ago, stockingsadmirer68 said:

:58674be6ca98e_EmojiSmiley-15: You know 👍🏻

What does he know?n Please tell.

19 hours ago, stockingsadmirer68 said:

Ask Watson :58674be6ca98e_EmojiSmiley-15:

Watson, what do you know that no one else knows?

Love him or loathe him, there doesn't seem to be a middle course where the Boatman is concerned,and certainly contributors to this forum do polarise into one camp or the other.  Whether you agree with him or not his opinions most certainly provoke discussion, and in this country of ours where we supposedly support freedom of speech he has a right to express them. 

I can't see Boats staying away and frankly I'm firmly of the opinion that he will resurface, indeed perhaps already has done so.

Grob

Edited by Grob

46 minutes ago, Grob said:

Love him or loathe him, there doesn't seem to be a middle course where the Boatman is concerned,and certainly contributors to this forum do polarise into one camp or the other.  Whether you agree with him or not his opinions most certainly provoke discussion, and in this country of ours where we supposedly support freedom of speech he has a right to express them. 

I can't see Boats staying away and frankly I'm firmly of the opinion that he will resurface, indeed perhaps already has done so.

Grob

I also expect he has already returned. What his supporters miss, or refuse to acknowledge is that other posters (the ones he dislikes) do not ban him. That is down to the site owner and mods.

I am sure he has his good points and can be friendly and entertaining. However, if he takes a dislike to someone for reasons known mainly to him, his behaviour becomes anti social and escalates from there so the site owner has no alternative but to ban him again.

Maybe someone could invent a technology to ban his anti social behaviour and allow his better side to remain.

Or maybe, as he is determined to post here, he could moderate his own behaviour?

Edited by dappi

On 17/08/2018 at 2:17 PM, Violin said:

He does, in fact, appear to have far more friends than those from the other side of the fence who just lob stones occasionally but never succeed in hitting anyone.

As far as I can make out, this boatman appears to have only four members who wish him ill. Just to remind me, how many paid-up members are there on SHQ? However many, four out of that number is very insignificant.

1 hour ago, Grob said:

1 hour ago, dappi said:

I also expect he has already returned. What his supporters miss, or refuse to acknowledge is that other posters (the ones he dislikes) do not ban him. That is down to the site owner and mods.

Hmm, quite the conundrum. Reminds me of the song, 'Should I stay or should I go'.

Tony appears to hold certain standards which run contrary to a few members. I think the root of this confrontational atmosphere, is that too often in the past, many members have said, or taken too many comments to heart, and personalized their grievances. I'm including myself, Tony, and a few others. It seems we desire to walk that thin line between 'collecting points' to win an argument, and in order to do so, getting into someone's face to accomplish this. I know that I'm often guilty of this, but it seems to be the game we want to play, at times.

Why some members desire to go to David about this is something I can't understand. David cannot make all people happy all the time. However, it seems as the most aggressive proponents of banning the Boatman, are the ones that actively engage him during his time with  us. Then, wonder of wonders, they can't bring this man to 'heel', they complain about him.

Why members can't ignore him, I don't know. Maybe it has to do with the notion they 'can' make things happen, so they 'do' so. 

In a perfect world, we would all get along and grow similar to peas in a pod. But it's not a perfect world. And typing posts back and forth to pat each other on the back, doesn't exactly trip my trigger. Although we could be more considerate at times.

11 minutes ago, rowlf said:

Hmm, quite the conundrum. Reminds me of the song, 'Should I stay or should I go'.

Tony appears to hold certain standards which run contrary to a few members. I think the root of this confrontational atmosphere, is that too often in the past, many members have said, or taken too many comments to heart, and personalized their grievances. I'm including myself, Tony, and a few others. It seems we desire to walk that thin line between 'collecting points' to win an argument, and in order to do so, getting into someone's face to accomplish this. I know that I'm often guilty of this, but it seems to be the game we want to play, at times.

Why some members desire to go to David about this is something I can't understand. David cannot make all people happy all the time. However, it seems as the most aggressive proponents of banning the Boatman, are the ones that actively engage him during his time with  us. Then, wonder of wonders, they can't bring this man to 'heel', they complain about him.

Why members can't ignore him, I don't know. Maybe it has to do with the notion they 'can' make things happen, so they 'do' so. 

In a perfect world, we would all get along and grow similar to peas in a pod. But it's not a perfect world. And typing posts back and forth to pat each other on the back, doesn't exactly trip my trigger. Although we could be more considerate at times.

It looks like you maintain in you 3rd paragraph that boaty is not responsible for his constant bans. It looks like it is always someone else's fault.

How do you know for sure people run to the mods? He is so easily recognised they probably know he is around within 5 mins of him posting.

As for ignoring him, as I suggested before, could he moderate his own behaviour?

4 minutes ago, dappi said:

It looks like you maintain in you 3rd paragraph that boaty is not responsible for his constant bans. It looks like it is always someone else's fault.

How do you know for sure people run to the mods? He is so easily recognised they probably know he is around within 5 mins of him posting.

As for ignoring him, as I suggested before, could he moderate his own behaviour?

He does own responsibility for his bans. But I also realize that at times there are mitigating circumstances. I'm not so old that I have forgotten how all this started. There was a conspiracy to have the Boatman banned from the forum. There were many against him, and as he attempted to refute these accusations, this caused others to acquire a negative opinion of him on the forum. He's not perfect. And sometimes I think he's too stubborn in his ways. But none of us are perfect. But I refuse to stand aside and allow others, who have their own often corrupt issues, faults, have an overwhelming say so in who deserves to be a member on this forum.

I'll never forget him being called a 'stupid old man'. He's into his 80's, and no man deserves that, no matter what he did. And the only thing he did was hurt the feelings of some babies that have their own clandestine activities.

12 minutes ago, rowlf said:

He does own responsibility for his bans. But I also realize that at times there are mitigating circumstances. I'm not so old that I have forgotten how all this started. There was a conspiracy to have the Boatman banned from the forum. There were many against him, and as he attempted to refute these accusations, this caused others to acquire a negative opinion of him on the forum. He's not perfect. And sometimes I think he's too stubborn in his ways. But none of us are perfect. But I refuse to stand aside and allow others, who have their own often corrupt issues, faults, have an overwhelming say so in who deserves to be a member on this forum.

I'll never forget him being called a 'stupid old man'. He's into his 80's, and no man deserves that, no matter what he did. And the only thing he did was hurt the feelings of some babies that have their own clandestine activities.

I have no idea what clandestine activities you refer to.

Also I doubt any member(s) here get any say in who deserves to be a member.

Edited by dappi

Just now, dappi said:

I have no idea what clandestine activities you refer to.

Also I doubt any member(s) here get any say in who deserves to be a member here.

I disagree with you.

37 minutes ago, dappi said:

Not knowing the full history of this argument, I should like to offer my opinion, which according to Bilso and Marge, I am entitled to do,

Reading back over the posts from the people who want rid of him, as boatman or in his myriad disguises, (and how can these people be certain it is in fact, the boatman, and how many innocent newbies have been consigned to the scrap heap on their word?), you say he IS responsible for his action and you are not. Perhaps he wants to come back and start anew but is never allowed to do so because as another poster has said, certain people have a hidden agenda.

As for the mods and the owner being aware, I would point you in the direction of SeamsFFun who tells us that in fact there are no mods and that the owner appears only when summoned as he has far more pressing matters to sort out.

Is it a coincidence that you only appear when his name is mentioned because I can find no post of yours that has anything other than nastiness against this person?

1 hour ago, holmes said:

Not knowing the full history of this argument, I should like to offer my opinion, which according to Bilso and Marge, I am entitled to do,

Reading back over the posts from the people who want rid of him, as boatman or in his myriad disguises, (and how can these people be certain it is in fact, the boatman, and how many innocent newbies have been consigned to the scrap heap on their word?), you say he IS responsible for his action and you are not.

Please tell me where I said boaty is responsible for his actions but I am not?

I almost forgot. I have joined in many conversations here that were nothing to do with boaty.

Edited by dappi

6 hours ago, rowlf said:

Why members can't ignore him, I don't know.

You actually make some good points for a change here Rowlfie.

5 hours ago, dappi said:

Please tell me where I said boaty is responsible for his actions but I am not?

I almost forgot. I have joined in many conversations here that were nothing to do with boaty.

If you disagree with a poster who says that this fellow is not responsible for his actions then it stands to reason that it is your opinion that he is.

If I have misjudged, then forgive me, but could you point me to some of these conversations.

What is your actual reason for not wanting this person as a member?

Old Chinese proverb says “Give one enough rope and one will hang themselves”  ⛵️👴🏻 

Proven time and time and time again.......sure enough, he does!!! 😳

Drops the mic 🎤 BOOM!! 😇

Edited by stockingsadmirer68

9 hours ago, holmes said:

If you disagree with a poster who says that this fellow is not responsible for his actions then it stands to reason that it is your opinion that he is.

If I have misjudged, then forgive me, but could you point me to some of these conversations.

What is your actual reason for not wanting this person as a member?

16 hours ago, dappi said:

point 1.  If you could follow this thread you will see from the above that it was rowlf I was quoting about you taking responsibility not taking responsibility for your own posts.

Just for clarity, I think every member here is responsible for their own posts.

point 2. Have a look around my posts for yourself.

point 3. I have no idea why you ask in this manner. There would be no question at all should he moderate his own behaviour.

29 minutes ago, dappi said:

point 1.  If you could follow this thread you will see from the above that it was rowlf I was quoting about you taking responsibility not taking responsibility for your own posts.

Just for clarity, I think every member here is responsible for their own posts.

point 2. Have a look around my posts for yourself.

point 3. I have no idea why you ask in this manner. There would be no question at all should he moderate his own behaviour.

It would appear that yourself and several other members see this boatman lurking around every corner. I can assure you that I have not been around long enough to be he.

To try and arrive at some sensible conclusion.

point 1. I can see quite clearly that it was Rowlf you were quoting but I can't find anywhere in the rules that says I mustn't do this.

point 2. I have had a look at all your posts since you first appeared but cannot find any conversations or meaningful comments from yourself, only condemnation of a member who, according to rumour, has long departed.

point 3. The question was asked in a straightforward manner, but if you are disinclined to answer for some reason, so be it. How can this member moderate his behaviour? Could you point out examples of this 'behaviour'?

Thank you for confirming what I expected. 

Please do not bother answering as I have no interest in batting this pointless subject back and forth.  I have now added another name to my ignore list.

Edited by dappi

14 hours ago, Trinity said:

OMG. Rowlf is onto The Clash. I think it's love.

14 hours ago, Trinity said:

You actually make some good points for a change here Rowlfie.

Just to make you proud, hun...…..

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 3:56 PM, rowlf said:

What absolute BS rowlf.  My ignore list has more than 30 of Boatman's accounts on it and I have just added more to it.

Even though I ignore him, he finds it necessary to offload his anti social behaviour on me.  Even now he has at least three active accounts that only the most stupid could fail to identify.

You have to remember that this is a private site and the owner by banning him has told Boatman that he is not welcome here.  Nobody has the right to be on this site.  Nobody has the right to freedom of speech on this site.  We are here only with the permission of the site owner.

It's hypocritical of you to argue that nations should prevent illegal immigrants and argue of your need for a gun to defend your property, but at the same time you ignore the SHQ owner's right to prevent access to his website to individuals of his choice.

1 hour ago, Alteredbhoy said:

What absolute BS rowlf.  My ignore list has more than 30 of Boatman's accounts on it and I have just added more to it.

Even though I ignore him, he finds it necessary to offload his anti social behaviour on me.  Even now he has at least three active accounts that only the most stupid could fail to identify.

You have to remember that this is a private site and the owner by banning him has told Boatman that he is not welcome here.  Nobody has the right to be on this site.  Nobody has the right to freedom of speech on this site.  We are here only with the permission of the site owner.

It's hypocritical of you to argue that nations should prevent illegal immigrants and argue of your need for a gun to defend your property, but at the same time you ignore the SHQ owner's right to prevent access to his website to individuals of his choice.

Dammit, we all unload on one another to various degrees at times. I consider your behavior anti-social at times. Who would ever say out loud that it's ok for the working man to pay for the upkeep  of layabouts. But you do it time and again. I just accept it and believe we're all God's children and we have our idiosyncrasies. 

I realize that it's a private site and all that. But it's not my site or your site. I think we cause David more problems by continuously bitching to him about the Boatman.

Calling me a hypocrite by comparing the SHQ to my opinions on illegal immigration and gun control is bizarre. I'm not a hypocrite. I make decisions based a particular issue. It is of my opinion that David would not have banned him if not for the concerted effort of many so-called offended members appealing to David in regards to Tony. These members included you.

I don't like everything that goes on here on the forum nowadays. It's not that bad, but we could make it much better. My only complaint about the Boatman in all this, is that the inane back and forth with him against the opposing offended members, have driven off many good people.

But I also realize that things change, life goes on, and we can't go back to the days of Cotton Nash, Deepwelt, Melmoth, Nylon10, Dzine Guy, Violet, Hanes Baby, Deepix, Lincoln Lady, Madrid Kangaroo, Slyv and many others I've forgotten. 

But for you, et al, to keep harping about this man is ludicrous. At some point in time we have to have closure. But I haven't great expectations that will happen.