Sign in to follow this  
Blott

World Cup '18

181 posts in this topic

Here we go again, another World Cup campaign for England and 31 other countries.

I'm expecting a traditional wobbly start for England's first game, scarping a win in the middle game of the group and relying on some other team to lose and put us through to the knock out stages.

Or, perhaps, just perhaps England's young bucks under Southgate's management will prove all the defeat hardened doubters wrong and explode onto the world stage in a blaze of winning glory!!

The clever money is on Brazil to win it this time, Germany are always a force to be reckoned with, France, Spain and Argentina could take it, who knows.

FIFA took a brave step hosting the World Cup finals in Russia. Russia's home grown hooligans dubbing them-selves Ultras have long made it known they intend to cause trouble. Russian authorities have stated they will clamp down on these people who bring new meaning to the words discrimination and racism with the people they target. 

Lets hope and pray for fabulous football and violence free support at all the games.

Of course the over paid prima donnas will dance around the pitch, fall over in writhing agony at the slightest touch before sprinting the length of the pitch a few minutes later in a time Usain Bolt would be proud of, but hey that's just how it is in football.

Let the (beautiful) games begin :58674bdf747cb_EmojiSmiley-04:

Edited by Blott

Try supporting Holland Blott.  Thank God they didn't make it this time, I can't cope with yet another second place.

Holland have always been a great team on the pitch, such a shame they didn't make it this time.

If Belgium can get the players to gel as a team (unbelievable considering the squad of players they have!) they will go very close and are my tip to win it, I also have a feeling for Spain regardless of the manager situation.

Credit to Russia yesterday great result!!!

for me its the best sporting event on the planet bar none no matter the location.

On 6/13/2018 at 11:47 PM, Blott said:

FIFA took a brave step hosting the World Cup finals in Russia.

I'm afraid I don't regard it as brave to accept bribes from dodgy regimes to provide them with some good publicity. FIFA and the IOC are on record as preferring to work with autocratic regimes.

In law abiding democratic countries people can protest and ask questions. Questions about the environmental impact. Questions as to why billions of their taxes are being spent building white elephant stadia. Or why their roads should be closed to allow the bigwigs to cruise around in their limousines unencumbered by such inconveniences as traffic. Or why money laundering laws should be relaxed to allow the FIFA kleptocrats to shove their snouts even deeper into the trough.

There might actually be some health and safety legislation that would stop corners being cut and people dying as happened four years ago in Brazil and has already cost the lives of many construction workers working on the stadia for the next World Cup in Qatar.

You mention Russian hooligans. Two gay French supporters have already been hospitalised. Is "brave" really the right adjective for awarding the tournament to a country so openly racist and homophobic?

1 hour ago, AquaLung said:

for me its the best sporting event on the planet

Well enjoy it while you can before it turns into an series of mostly meaningless matches when it expands to a 48 team tournament to try and satisfy Infantinos's insatiable lust for cash.

Ah the WC, Russia has made a good start to be fair I thought it be a dull 1-1 affair. Think for the sake of the tournament Russia needs to get out the group stages (but I think that of every tournament it seems to create more of a buzz if the hosts do).

As for overall winners hmm Sadly my pick of every WC is not even there :( can`t believe Buffon is not getting one more crack at the WC hey ho. On a side note I can`t believe Zlatan did not come out of retirement to play in Russia. So I am going Germany always strong and there and there about's. 

Brazil of course will be wanting to put to bed the demons of the last WC which was on home soil. Messi and co will be close of course. My surprise package of the WC Belgium if they can join all that individual talent and play as a team wow they are in with a shot.

Despite I am sure Mr Augustine moaning of it I am sure. I will give my opinion on England in Russia. Comfortable in the group stage but will only reach the Quarters imo. But good young squad going so it will be a good challenge for them.

But as always I would like to see a "small" side upset the apple cart but not sure who it will be this year.    

After checking who Russia has in group.... I think my hope is not going to happen. but we will see.

Fabulous game this evening between Portugal and Spain, 3 all draw was a very fair outcome and Ronaldo proved why he is (probably) the best footballer on the planet right now :58674bdf747cb_EmojiSmiley-04:

To be fair should of been 3-2 DeGea had a shocker for the second and Pique should really know better then foul that close to his box with CR7 on the pitch.

That said very good game to watch.

Never thought I see Iran top of a WC group though ever lol

Well that’s the results a World Cup throw up now and then. So far so good, hoping for good things from France as I have them in a draw. 

The CR7 free kick was a beauty and under pressure to score as well!!!!

Edited by Blott

Is Cristiano Ronaldo now the most successful cheat in world football.
That boy learned to dive before he learned to walk.

13 hours ago, Ursula Harrison said:

I'm afraid I don't regard it as brave to accept bribes from dodgy regimes to provide them with some good publicity. FIFA and the IOC are on record as preferring to work with autocratic regimes.

In law abiding democratic countries people can protest and ask questions. Questions about the environmental impact. Questions as to why billions of their taxes are being spent building white elephant stadia. Or why their roads should be closed to allow the bigwigs to cruise around in their limousines unencumbered by such inconveniences as traffic. Or why money laundering laws should be relaxed to allow the FIFA kleptocrats to shove their snouts even deeper into the trough.

There might actually be some health and safety legislation that would stop corners being cut and people dying as happened four years ago in Brazil and has already cost the lives of many construction workers working on the stadia for the next World Cup in Qatar.

You mention Russian hooligans. Two gay French supporters have already been hospitalised. Is "brave" really the right adjective for awarding the tournament to a country so openly racist and homophobic?

Well enjoy it while you can before it turns into an series of mostly meaningless matches when it expands to a 48 team tournament to try and satisfy Infantinos's insatiable lust for cash.

At least we agree on something.

People say keep politics out of sport.  But sport is about building relationships between peoples and nations.  It is politics.

47 minutes ago, helen said:

Is Cristiano Ronaldo now the most successful cheat in world football.
That boy learned to dive before he learned to walk.

Hmmm, Ronaldo is probably the most accomplished professional footballer at interpreting the rules of the game as they are today. FIFA make the rules, players of his ability operate on the limit of them and by doing so win games. Add to which he has amazing ability on the ball and simply by being there lifts his team.

When he went to Real Madrid it was accepted in most quarters the Premiere League was a poorer place without him. As to his tax affairs and such like, that is another question which the Spanish authorities are dealing with. The latest part of the saga being made public today hours before he played against Spain which one might assume was timed to 'put him off', if so it didn't work as he scored a hat trick against them.  

14 hours ago, Ursula Harrison said:

My use of the word brave had something of a deeper meaning which you seem to have identified. Much is said of the UK and other nearby countries being racist, institutionally or otherwise. Hosting such a large event in such an openly racist and homophobic environment may well show just how accepting and inclusive the UK and nearby countries actually are compared to the likes of Russia. 

Lets go Iceland!!!

5 hours ago, nylon10 said:

Lets go Iceland!!!

Wow beaten England, held Portugal to a draw and now in the World Cup held Messi’s Argentina to a draw. Let’s not forget there’s no professional teams in Iceland these boys give their all :58674bdeceb55_EmojiSmiley-03:

Here come the Germans, current World Cup holders followed later by the mighty Brazil. Fabulous day of top class football shown free to view on terrestrial tv, in the UK it is anyway. 

Mexico won. Could German do an Italy and be defending champs and go out at the group stages :58674be6ca98e_EmojiSmiley-15:. The group is no give me

What a day nylon10, Germany beaten and Brazil could only manage a draw. Of the big name teams it seems only Spain and Portugal can put on a good show. If ever there was a time for England to put a great result on the board it's now, I wait hopefully :58674be0c2f40_EmojiSmiley-06:

As an aside, some of you might remember 4 years ago me ol' mate Grob and I detected a scourge on the highways and byways of good old Blighty. We named them half-brainers and no-brainers, those over enthusiastic supporters who affixed England flags to their motorcars. A half-brainer being the sort who made do with one flag trapped by the electric window, a no-brainer being the sort who went for a matching pair.

At the time our alter egos Blott & Grob Agents Mystique served the mother country well by removing this scourge from our roads, employing various devices at our disposal such as a blunderbuss and Grob's trusty old Lightning aircraft. To date neither 'brainer' seems to have resurfaced, however, the chaps remain ever vigilant :58674be5c2392_EmojiSmiley-13:

1 hour ago, jimmy too said:

We can only hope and pray that yourself and dear old Grob re-emerge at some stage to carry on the good fight against the 'brainers' or even enemy's, either real or imaginary, of the mother country.

I hope I speak not only for myself but for dear friend Grob when I say an hiatus is always a good thing in the realms of creativity. 

It just so happens our brand of creativity is that of the absurd and at times slapstick, yet none the worse for that in my humble opinion. 

The chaps are never far away from intrigue and darring do, usually in defence of the fine ladies of SHQ’s right to sport fabulous legwear. Who can forget the thrilling tales of The Golden Clasp or the evil Overlord Tiberius ‘Ights and his devilish plan to rid the world of stockings!!!

Watch this space friends, more to come (probably) soon :58674bdf747cb_EmojiSmiley-04:

Not seen much of the World Cup. However there can be no doubt it was the correct decision that Russia should hold the World Cup this year.
The ludicrous decision was to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar. If England don't win the tournament, then I hope Russia do.

It is a shame Italy and Holland are missing from this year's World Cup. Perhaps, FIFA should save one space in future tournaments for a 'wild card' choice for a country, which has not qualified. For example for this year's World cup Italy and Holland could have been selected to play each other to decide which one of them should be given the 'wild card'  

33 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Not seen much of the World Cup. However there can be no doubt it was the correct decision that Russia should hold the World Cup this year.
The ludicrous decision was to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar. If England don't win the tournament, then I hope Russia do.

It is a shame Italy and Holland are missing from this year's World Cup. Perhaps, FIFA should save one space in future tournaments for a 'wild card' choice for a country, which has not qualified. For example for this year's World cup Italy and Holland could have been selected to play each other to decide which one of them should be given the 'wild card'  

Interesting idea but wild card entries usually result in a big 'team' or 'name' gaining a place when they don't deserve it. Teams such as Italy and Holland know how to win games at big events and as such they should arrive at finals through their own efforts not by the luck of the draw in my opinion.

Russia do seem to be making a good job of hosting the World Cup, no big mistakes so far. I'm guessing the media are under instructions not to report on any negative incidents (someone on here posted about 2 gay French supporters hospitalized). Pre-World Cup the underbelly of Russian football made it known they were going to cause trouble but to date i've not seen or read of it.

This World Cup seems to be about teams running at their opposition which is a much better spectacle than a defensive strategy for the viewing masses. The big name teams have struggled, the lesser teams have shone in some cases which makes the whole even better. Belgium have a real chance of winning it, i'd like to think England could go all the way against mediocre teams but history tells us different.

Either way i'm enjoying the World Cup, looking forward to seeing Germany play tonight and England tomorrow lunchtime while I sink a beer or two :58674bdeceb55_EmojiSmiley-03:

Looks like Germany may be coming unstuck this year.

........ or not

1 hour ago, nylon10 said:

Looks like Germany may be coming unstuck this year.

Sadly not the lucky so and so's, would love to have seen Sweden dump them out after 2 games. Now hoping England's game goes the way I want it too but, it's England so who knows what trouble they will manage to get into. 

All these posts and no mention of VAR? What's the feelings on that? Personally I think it's made more good decisions than bad ones and we've certainly had more justifiable penalties awarded than not. Mind you how Wor Harry didn't get at least one I've no idea! Of the teams I think Mexico and Russia in these admittedly very early days have been great but just have the feeling that after Germany enacted their version of The Great Escape and Brazil sneaked a late win, the big boys are starting to roll. France haven't been impressive but have two wins and I think Argentina will also get through now. Top boys for me so far though have to be Belgium and Croatia who both look as though they finally may fulfill some of that always promised potential. All in all I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far and not a 0 - 0 in sight either. At this rate I might even begin to like football again!

KtF
J :58674be5313cc_EmojiSmiley-12: 

Gad, missed! exclaimed Grob, who was lying on his back with the reverberation of the 8 bore shotgun ringing in his ears and staring up into a clear blue Yorkshire sky. He was laid on his back because the recoil of the 8 bore was substantially more then he was used to, and his target, a stationary half brainer on the A1M had no idea that he had been targeted.  Grob had been delighted when after a seemingly endless closed season the first half brainers had been spotted.  Apparently he needed to thank yon chappie in the Crumblin, or some such place for askin' chaps from all over the world for a friendly kickabout.  

(Here it must be added dear reader that Grob's knowledge and indeed interest in Association Football, soccer, or whatever name the damn sport went under was limited.  Indeed given his ancestry, here see Grob's profile for more detail, any interest he may have had was unrepresented. Ed.)

Later sitting in the library cradling a large Malt he penned a short note on a tiny piece of paper, before handing it to his Secretary Lass who took it immediately to the loft on the battlements of Grob Towers.  In a very short time a pigeon was winging it's way towards the abode of his old hunting pal Blott.  The note was an invitation to a hunting party, and read:- Thought we might have a better bag this season if we crossed the Urals what, bound to be plenty of game around. Fancy a pop at Johnny foreigner me old mucker?

Edited by Grob
corrections

3 minutes ago, jimmy too said:

Unless the Lightning can carry two, you will be wasting your loot, dear Grob, as I'm told there are very very few Brits over there with their own cars so the chance of a bag is very uncertain. Unless of course you are going to include foreign no-brainers.

Best to set up a shooting stance at the side of the A1 and if England do well then the quarry will break cover en masse.

A word of advice though, Grob old chum, the 8 bore is too much gun for this kind of work. It's almost a blunderbuss. Best go for a 12 bore with some of the cartridges that were issued during the last dust-up - solid ball instead of shot. Much more effective against a moving car.

Ah me dear chap, thought I recognised the style, hows the Landie?  Might I direct you to the No Brainer thread.

Grob

1 hour ago, Grob said:

Ah me dear chap, thought I recognised the style, hows the Landie?  Might I direct you to the No Brainer thread.

Grob

Ye Gods, Grob is right.  The Jimmy Riddler is none other than the Forum's arch villain Boatman.  Who'd have thought it?  I always assumed that Billy Liar was Nor Brain Joe.

Maybe those not so liberal ones on here, who are all for an authoritarian approach to dealing with rule breakers should demand his fingers be broken so that he can no longer type.

1 hour ago, jimmy too said:

A word of advice though, Grob old chum, the 8 bore is too much gun for this kind of work. It's almost a blunderbuss. Best go for a 12 bore with some of the cartridges that were issued during the last dust-up - solid ball instead of shot. Much more effective against a moving car.

Careful Billy.  This sounds mightily like you are encouraging Grob to launch a terrorist attack on some unsuspecting motorist.

Before you know it we'll be calling you Jihadi Bill.

9 hours ago, SeamsFFun said:

All these posts and no mention of VAR? What's the feelings on that? Personally I think it's made more good decisions than bad ones and we've certainly had more justifiable penalties awarded than not. Mind you how Wor Harry didn't get at least one I've no idea! Of the teams I think Mexico and Russia in these admittedly very early days have been great but just have the feeling that after Germany enacted their version of The Great Escape and Brazil sneaked a late win, the big boys are starting to roll. France haven't been impressive but have two wins and I think Argentina will also get through now. Top boys for me so far though have to be Belgium and Croatia who both look as though they finally may fulfill some of that always promised potential. All in all I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far and not a 0 - 0 in sight either. At this rate I might even begin to like football again!

KtF
J :58674be5313cc_EmojiSmiley-12: 

I am not a fan of VAR or other new technology used to referee matches. Fooball games should be roughly refereed the same, whether it is in a school playground or at the World Cup, in my opinion. Just because other sports have adopted technology shouldn't mean football should follow the same path.

5 hours ago, helen said:

Why has the BBC website moved England to the top of the group?

I was going to say goals conceded but Belgium are exactly the same, i'm not sure but it may be because of the goals conceded timing (Belgium conceding a goal earlier in a match than England did) however that is a pure guess.

As far as I understand, if all stats are exactly equal at the end of the third game a coin toss decides the group winner.   

After the 3rd group game England and Belgium can not meet again unless they both make the final.

England has a better disciplinary record then Belgium is my believe 

12 minutes ago, nylon10 said:

England has a better disciplinary record then Belgium is my believe 

Could be that yes

For those who enjoy optimistic stats, as a manager Pep Guardiola won the Spanish domestic league with Barcelona in 2010, Spain went on to win the World Cup in the same year. In 2014 Pep won the German domestic league with Bayern Munich, Germany went on to win the World Cup in the same year.

This year Pep won the English Premier League with Manchester City.....:58674be025c9f_EmojiSmiley-05: