Sign in to follow this  
NylonSE

How to store our nylons?? xx

4 posts in this topic

Hey to you all,

Just wondered how everyone stores their nylon stockings and keep them looking fabulous and snag free?? I’m currently using sandwich bags and a sharpie marker but wondered what you girls prefer to use!! 

Many thanks 

NylonSE xxx 

When I take off vintage nylons that came in boxes or were supplied by ebay sellers without the original packaging, like you I find sandwich bags very useful.

But for the most part when I open a new packet of stockings I try hard not to tear the cellophane. I throw the cardboard in the recycling and return the stockings to the packet after wear. If the packet doesn't have a small label stuck to it with the colour and size, I tear that off the cardboard and put it in the bag with them.

I always handle my nylons with hosiery gloves.

42 minutes ago, Ursula Harrison said:

When I take off vintage nylons that came in boxes or were supplied by ebay sellers without the original packaging, like you I find sandwich bags very useful.

But for the most part when I open a new packet of stockings I try hard not to tear the cellophane. I throw the cardboard in the recycling and return the stockings to the packet after wear. If the packet doesn't have a small label stuck to it with the colour and size, I tear that off the cardboard and put it in the bag with them.

I always handle my nylons with hosiery gloves.

You handle it absolutely exemplary, Ursula Harrison - exactly as my (died) wife has done it. She has a stuff-bag with 4 compartments from "Fabiani" for putting in her used stockings (also as you with put them first in the cellophane). And she washing them only with her hands in the washing-bassin -> and then hanging it on the line in the bathroom for dry them slowly. She did use a special washing-powder and only with luckwarm water....

Greetings there NylonSE.

Admittedly, I'm not one of the "girls" though have dealt with hosiery of all sorts for many turns so keep a salt shaker at the ready.

First on, Nylon is pretty durable and not much affected by a lot save petroleum based products along with exposure to to Sunlight (or other ultraviolet sources) and oxidizers as in bleach. The best storage is at an even temp and dry conditions. However, having grown up in a rather humid environment and obtaining samples from all manner of conditions other than excessive heat Nylon stockings are rather resilient. Rayon and Silk are less forgiving and Silk especially requires a stable and dry environment. Few I realize have much interest in either of these stocking materials so I include that just because I tend to be a technocrat.  

My experience is primarily with Vintage and Classic types of Nylon hosiery. Stored in the original boxes or packaging generally presents no undue situation unless those are considerably deteriorated. Should one care to launder consider a fabric softener. This works for all types of Nylon from Micro Mesh, Plain Flat Knits to the Wonderspun knits (Agilon, Cantrece, Lycra blends) and the typical more contemporary stretchy "one size fits all" sorts which do have a place. After a wear, as you suggest placement in a baggie with the size will help prevent confusion. 

Ironically, extreme cold temperature does help prolong Nylon hosiery. The colder the better. Stockings placed in a freezer will hold their shape better and extend wearing life. Should one have access to really cold sources so much the better. This method has proved to work with many metals and personally with guitar strings exposed to liquid  Nitrogen which is wickedly cold. Not too many have access to that though "dry ice" freezers are more accessible. Talking someone with one into letting you use them to freeze Nylon hosiery may present some explanations... Alas, I've no timetable to address "freezing" times and perhaps some of the members with a physics background could offer advice therein. My guitar strings were exposed to cold for a little over 24 hours.   

Anyway, hope this info to be of some assistance in addition to the fineage of what Ursula has offered. 

Finest Regards, 

Dworkin