Sign in to follow this  
Corona

Why Are Calais Migrants OUR Problem?

33 posts in this topic

It's been confirmed that the PM has agreed with France's President Macron that the UK pay an ADDITIONAL £44.5 million above what we already contribute to the security costs of the Port of Calasis in order to try & deter illegal immigration into the UK.

The PM has also agreed to take more unaccompanied migrant children & adults who successfully claim family ties to the UK.

My question is, why hasn't more pressure put on the likes of France, Belgium & Holland to make them secure their southern & eastern borders with their neighbouring countries to stop illegal immigrants from entering their countries in the first place & also pressure put on the EU in general to impose its own laws, making migrants register for asylum in the first EU country they arrive at?

Because it's easier to facilitate their onward passage to the end of the rainbow where all their needs will be met. Sadly these migrants economic,persecuted whatever have all been sold a fantasy. We, in the most crowded country in Europe, know different and until we can convince them at source we don't want them can't afford them they will continue to follow that promised utopia. I as a landlord have had obvious illegals try to rent my properties convinced that the authorities will pay their rent,utilities and give them every benefit available. Their belief is unshakeable, our believed generosity is like a mantra that has sustained them in their dangerous and often expensive journey.

John B.

3 hours ago, Corona said:

It's been confirmed that the PM has agreed with France's President Macron that the UK pay an ADDITIONAL £44.5 million above what we already contribute to the security costs of the Port of Calasis in order to try & deter illegal immigration into the UK.

The PM has also agreed to take more unaccompanied migrant children & adults who successfully claim family ties to the UK.

My question is, why hasn't more pressure put on the likes of France, Belgium & Holland to make them secure their southern & eastern borders with their neighbouring countries to stop illegal immigrants from entering their countries in the first place & also pressure put on the EU in general to impose its own laws, making migrants register for asylum in the first EU country they arrive at?

Because these countries are in the Schengen area so do not have a hard border with their neighbours.  The deal we've done with France keeps the illegal migrants in Calais.  If we completely refuse to co-operate with France, then they could give up on the Le Touquet agreement and all the migrants would be free to board a ferry for Dover and become our problem rather than France's.   

Well, that is an interesting stab at starting a conversation.

It will be obvious to everyone by now that Mrs May has her back against the wall. If the European union chooses to make the ‘migrants’ our problem, post Brexit, it will be very easy for them to do so, and the cross-channel ferries may well need the business. After all, who else will want to come here?

Corona asks. “Why hasn't more pressure put on the likes of France, Belgium & Holland to make them secure their southern & eastern borders.”
Pressure? from whom? They have open borders and asylum seekers are asylum seekers until they are found not to be. The newly sovereign Britannia, famed for its fairness, will quickly sort that out once they arrive in Dover.

After all, the nation that built the Titanic can do anything.

51 minutes ago, wifeingios said:

Vermin, need a Panzer Division. Lol

This is shameful drivel.

I don't really see why the Euro nations should do anything to assist the post Brexit UK.  You could try building a wall ?

52 minutes ago, Trinity said:

I don't really see why the Euro nations should do anything to assist the post Brexit UK.  You could try building a wall ?

And fill that huge hole in the ground under the channel with concrete leftovers from Trumps 🤡 Mexico 🇲🇽 wall perhaps? 👍🏻 🤣

Edited by stockingsadmirer68

8 hours ago, Trinity said:

We already have one, Trinny. It's called the English Channel. ( Which annoys the hell out of France )

9 hours ago, helen said:

Well, that is an interesting stab at starting a conversation.

It will be obvious to everyone by now that Mrs May has her back against the wall. If the European union chooses to make the ‘migrants’ our problem, post Brexit, it will be very easy for them to do so, and the cross-channel ferries may well need the business. After all, who else will want to come here?

Corona asks. “Why hasn't more pressure put on the likes of France, Belgium & Holland to make them secure their southern & eastern borders.”
Pressure? from whom? They have open borders and asylum seekers are asylum seekers until they are found not to be. The newly sovereign Britannia, famed for its fairness, will quickly sort that out once they arrive in Dover.

After all, the nation that built the Titanic can do anything.

9 hours ago, helen said:

This is shameful drivel.

As again, Melmoth has two silly comments.

First of all, dear boy, where was Titanic built?

And secondly, these are ILLEGAL immigrants. Surely the word 'illegal' means 'against the law'? Not one Panzer division, but two.

17 hours ago, Alteredbhoy said:

Because these countries are in the Schengen area so do not have a hard border with their neighbours.  The deal we've done with France keeps the illegal migrants in Calais.  If we completely refuse to co-operate with France, then they could give up on the Le Touquet agreement and all the migrants would be free to board a ferry for Dover and become our problem rather than France's.   

We are not in the Schengen area. Why are France not asking the EU for money because the Calais problem has been caused by the Schengen agreement? I am not allowed to travel to France without a valid passport. Why will the migrants be free to board a ferry from France without valid passports and valid visas, if the Le Touquet agreements is given up?

14 hours ago, stockingsadmirer68 said:

And fill that huge hole in the ground under the channel with concrete leftovers from Trumps 🤡 Mexico 🇲🇽 wall perhaps? 👍🏻 🤣

How do you stop migrants from crossing the Boris channel bridge?

3 minutes ago, Corona said:

How do you stop migrants from crossing the Boris channel bridge?

Make sure it doesn’t meet in the middle 👍🏻😂🤣

2 hours ago, Corona said:

We are not in the Schengen area. Why are France not asking the EU for money because the Calais problem has been caused by the Schengen agreement? I am not allowed to travel to France without a valid passport. Why will the migrants be free to board a ferry from France without valid passports and valid visas, if the Le Touquet agreements is given up?

Clearly we are not in the Schengen area.  If we were, there would be no border control between us and France and the migrants would simply cross the Channel.

The rest of your post show a total lack of understanding of the role of border control.  You do not need to have a passport to leave the UK.  But you will need a passport to enter a country or to re-enter the UK having left.  For people leaving the UK, the purpose of the border control is to ensure that nobody leaves who we want to stay (people subject to criminal proceedings etc.).  It is not to stop people that we don't want to be here from leaving.  The same will apply to French border control.

Do you think that if UK border control found an illegal immigrant trying to leave the country, they would stop him from leaving?

That is why we signed the Le Touquet agreement with France, which means anyone crossing the Channel has to pass through our border control first, confirming they are entitled to enter the UK, before passing through the French control confirming they are happy for them to leave France.

47 minutes ago, Alteredbhoy said:

Clearly we are not in the Schengen area.  If we were, there would be no border control between us and France and the migrants would simply cross the Channel.

The rest of your post show a total lack of understanding of the role of border control.  You do not need to have a passport to leave the UK.  But you will need a passport to enter a country or to re-enter the UK having left.  For people leaving the UK, the purpose of the border control is to ensure that nobody leaves who we want to stay (people subject to criminal proceedings etc.).  It is not to stop people that we don't want to be here from leaving.  The same will apply to French border control.

Do you think that if UK border control found an illegal immigrant trying to leave the country, they would stop him from leaving?

That is why we signed the Le Touquet agreement with France, which means anyone crossing the Channel has to pass through our border control first, confirming they are entitled to enter the UK, before passing through the French control confirming they are happy for them to leave France.

I flew to Spain last year. I had to show my passport before I left the UK. I don't think I would have been allowed to board the plane, if I hadn't shown a valid passport. 

4 hours ago, weeniewinderupper said:

Guard it will a Panzer Division.

There's quite some irony talking about guarding with Panzer divisions post Brexit.

12 hours ago, weeniewinderupper said:

As again, Melmoth has two silly comments.

First of all, dear boy, where was Titanic built?

And secondly, these are ILLEGAL immigrants. Surely the word 'illegal' means 'against the law'? Not one Panzer division, but two.

Correct me if I am wrong but is Belfast not in the UK ? And also... Panzer's belong to the army and are typically used in times of war not issues of law (except when you're say.. Stalin or Mao). I'm curious that you would recommend something from the old communist manifesto. This will challenge Rowlf.

Edited by Trinity

2 hours ago, Corona said:

I flew to Spain last year. I had to show my passport before I left the UK. I don't think I would have been allowed to board the plane, if I hadn't shown a valid passport. 

I suspect this will have been airport security rather than border control.  I flew to Dublin recently and was required to show my passport at airport check in, even though being in the Common Travel Area a passport is not required to travel between the UK and Ireland.

2 minutes ago, Alteredbhoy said:

I suspect this will have been airport security rather than border control.  I flew to Dublin recently and was required to show my passport at airport check in, even though being in the Common Travel Area a passport is not required to travel between the UK and Ireland.

They must have thought you were a bacon smuggler.

17 minutes ago, Trinity said:

Correct me if I am wrong but is Belfast not in the UK ? And also... Panzer's belong to the army and are typically used in times of war not issues of law (except when you're say.. Stalin or Mao). I'm curious that you would recommend something from the old communist manifesto. This will challenge Rowlf.

Belfast is in the UK but it happens to be in Ireland. Titanic was built by Harland and Wolfe and was built by Irishmen. Just saying.

The Panzer quote was made by another member, but I actually liked it so much I used it myself. I could have just as easily used 22 Squadron but I didn't.

Who's Rowlf?

1 hour ago, weeniewinderupper said:

Belfast is in the UK but it happens to be in Ireland. Titanic was built by Harland and Wolfe and was built by Irishmen. Just saying.

The Panzer quote was made by another member, but I actually liked it so much I used it myself. I could have just as easily used 22 Squadron but I didn't.

Who's Rowlf?

Rowlf is our resident stoopid.

8 hours ago, Trinity said:

Rowlf is our resident stoopid.

That's a bit harsh, the man might well be a brain surgeon or a rocket scientist.

On 1/20/2018 at 11:38 PM, weeniewinderupper said:

We already have one, Trinny. It's called the English Channel. ( Which annoys the hell out of France )

It doesn't seem to be very effective based on the OP though...?

1 hour ago, weeniewinderupper said:

Oh it is. How many illegal immigrants do you know who've swum it?

?

I can't be certain. I don't know any illegal immigrants. However there is that story about the Polish carpenter who swam across in 1964. Last I heard he had a car dealership in Swindon.

10 hours ago, Trinity said:

I can't be certain. I don't know any illegal immigrants. However there is that story about the Polish carpenter who swam across in 1964. Last I heard he had a car dealership in Swindon.

Ah, but he wasn't an illegal alien, was he?

4 minutes ago, weeniewinderupper said:

Ah, but he wasn't an illegal alien, was he?

I knew it wouldn't be long before someone brought Rowlf into this.

The National Enquired being his main news source. I'm surprised the the Polish carpenter wasn't actually Elvis.