Sign in to follow this  
ruby

New Dunkirk Film

6 posts in this topic

I know this is an odd subject, but as this is quite a good forum, I thought I would ask the question here, I am sure there must be some train buffs here.

I was watching the new Dunkirk film, and right at the end where there are scenes from a train carriage. I am not an expert on this, but it appears to me that the carriage is the wrong type, it looks like one from the fifties, nearer sixties, post nationalization. I remember this type from when I used to go to school by train in the late sixties. The carriage trim does not have enough wood for early 1940. Does anyone know any better? I would have thought the film people would have got it right, but looking at it, it seems wrong. I wonder if they filmed it at a preserved railway, where they tend to run British Rail MK1 carriages. I may be wrong, but I would just like a second opinion. 

Incidentally, I searched for a review on the film just to see if anyone had noticed and the Critic from the Guardian raises some really valid points, in that a lot of opportunities were missed, that would have made the film a lot more interesting.

Edited by ruby
Added extra bits.

I didn't notice, sorry. There were a few things like that though - for example a terrible lack of boats on the horizon in some of the cut away scenes that cheapened an otherwise excellent production. I really enjoyed the movie - tightly executed, no flubber, good acting and I thought the ending was perfect.

7 minutes ago, Trinity said:

I didn't notice, sorry. There were a few things like that though - for example a terrible lack of boats on the horizon in some of the cut away scenes that cheapened an otherwise excellent production. I really enjoyed the movie - tightly executed, no flubber, good acting and I thought the ending was perfect.

I didn't realize until I read the Critics review in the Guardian that some of the last people rescued were female Auxiliary Territorial Service Telephonists, the film could have identified this, I mean that is really brave (they don't even have guns). It appears the Director did not want to use CGI, which seems a bit dumb in this day and age. To me it just seemed an average film, that definitely did not live up to its hype.

This link is to the Critics article https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2017/jul/26/bloodless-boring-empty-christopher-nolan-dunkirk-left-me-cold , for once I have to agree with him.

My Uncle was one of the last ones out, and my mum said he never ever talked about it. She said he had lost his gun and half his uniform. It must have been horrific. Just before he died, he did go back with the friends that he served with.

My grandfather was captured there. He was marched to Poland where the Germans forced him to work in acoal mine. He never fully recovered. I thought the film was very good, tense and it felt authentic (except the spitire scenes)