aquabatfish

Do hold ups count as 'stockings'?

39 posts in this topic

Hi all, a bit of clarification required, if you'd be so kind. My wife and me will be out in Hull this weekend at a Christmas party and as is the norm, she'll be eschewing those nasty t****s she usually wears and replacing them with hold ups (Falke Lunelle with the peacock feather tops to be precise) but I wondered what people's opinions were on hold ups versus stockings? Personally I like hold ups as well as stockings, and I have a feeling I know what the response will be from you lovely people, but I was just curious...
Ps. I will be trying to get Mrs S into a pair of FFs out and about, but that's probably going to take more than a glass or two of vino to convince her!

stockings with suspenders for me,hold ups just not the same.

IMHO,

Stockings are Stockings...

Hold ups are Hold ups...

Tights are Tights...

Each have their own time and place for adorning and anything is nicer than bare legs...100%!...:58674bdf747cb_EmojiSmiley-04:

Lisa x

Definition of hold ups from the SHQ glossary of terms:

Hold-ups 
Term given by Pretty Polly to self supporting stockings. Never registered, it is now regarded as the generic name for stockings that stay up without the use of a suspender belt, usually with the help of silicone bands which help them stay in place on your thighs. 

Nothing wrong with holdups at all, they can be quite sexy with fancy lace tops or contrast colours.

1 hour ago, Lisa x said:

IMHO,

Hold ups are Hold ups...

Tights are Tights...

Each have their own time and place for adorning and anything is nicer than bare legs...100%!...:58674bdf747cb_EmojiSmiley-04:

Lisa x

Bl***y Heck Lisa you read my mind and quoted it verbatim!

KaF
:58674c47bd499_EmojiSmiley-182:

hold ups come in a distant 3rd place to me, with stockings and suspenders top of the league, tights 2nd as can look good with short skirts esp if stw  and seamed,  and  hold ups bad health wise, (after my heart op I had to wear surgical stockings,  and had the elastic at top cut by a doctor as too tight and could lead to blood clots that could be fatal)

Yes, holdups are stockings, but they're not my favorites. 

I wear them sometimes mainly because I recently bought 100 pairs in my size at a flea market for $25. Fortunately they are all of the plain top style as I dislike fancy or lace tops. 

My preference, however, is for gartered stockings. 

Karen

nice choice of hold ups , and there fine with me . mostly it depends on what the lady wishes to wear 

I'm not a fan of hold ups either. I find that eventually, the tops roll and the exposed silicone band causes chafing. Just my personal experience with Falke, John Lewis and M&S purchases. If anyone has any recommendations as to brands that don't roll, I'd welcome the suggestion. I find Wolford tights to be the best for practical, everyday use. Heist tights are a good second but are a bit clingy under trousers and Gio stockings for special occasions.

Here is one of many definitions from Internet dictionaries.  "A women's garment, typically made of translucent nylon or silk, that fits closely over the foot and is held up by garters or an elasticized strip at the upper thigh."

This sounds like more of an old school definition because many of our male friends enjoy stockings also.  Lets not forget them!

A belt with sussies or an elastic top is a personal preference.  The fact that pretty legs covered by anything other than, "Dare I Say It" Pantyhose is what hits the spot!  The bare skin above either is the spot.  We can't see it but we know it's there!  Kind of like and Ice Cream Cone!  What would the cone be without the ice cream?

I'd say as long as either is worn then one qualifies as a stockings person.  Nice to have a choice!

2 hours ago, SeamsFFun said:

KaF

Have you thought that Lisa might, just might, be taking the p..s?

I think as long as you're happy wearing what you like, who cares....

10 hours ago, SirSpender said:

stockings with suspenders for me,hold ups just not the same.

7 hours ago, blackmacjay said:

Suspenders make the difference and it is a big difference.

I'm with the above. The more straps the better!!

Edited by Lord Seaton

Just now, stockingsadmirer68 said:

What’s the most Lady S has please Lord :58674be18a3d6_EmojiSmiley-07:

It's normally a fourteen strap..she has more of them than any other although she does have a ten strap "V" clip which means twenty clips to do up! (well worth it).

3 minutes ago, Lord Seaton said:

It's normally a fourteen strap..she has more of them than any other although she does have a ten strap "V" clip which means twenty clips to do up! (well worth it).

I bet they show through Lady S’s tight skirts / dresses a treat 👍🏻🧐😍

I'm not fussy !

if a  lovely pair of legs are covered in stockings or hold up they both look and feel great to me ( must be my age) lol .

14 minutes ago, stockingsadmirer68 said:

I bet they show through Lady S’s tight skirts / dresses a treat 👍🏻🧐😍

As she has a liking for tight skirts they sure do!!

As you can probably guess by my user name I think they should and do count.  I think their power to get someone used to the concept of the bare thigh before introducing a 12 strap metal clip belt should not be underestimated. It’s worked for me and Pippa looks great in both.  

For a nice short skirt I often find hold ups are seen as wearable whereas stockings are not.  I possibly should point out when this isn’t really true more I suppose 😉

Mr T and Pippa

12 hours ago, SeamsFFun said:

KaF

Like :58674be5313cc_EmojiSmiley-12:

the glass is half full... good for her for taking the step to wear holdups... she'll see they are practical and sexy... now you have to tell her the advantages of stockings - more secure (when wearing seams, FFNs etc) and even sexier.. and compliments go a long way to that end...

have you bought her a nice belt or OBG?

Stockings with a six strap suspender belt..superb..but hold ups are a little bit dodgy..they do fall down sometimes.

5 hours ago, nylon gal said:

No one here mentioned suspender style pantyhose , they are sexy , but as has been quoted there is nothing to beat suspenders !

Good shout nylon gal!

Suspender tights are extremely sexy and great to see, probably though one of the least favoured items of sheer hosiery.

KaF
:58674be234469_EmojiSmiley-08:

1 hour ago, SeamsFFun said:

Good shout nylon gal!

Suspender tights are extremely sexy and great to see, probably though one of the least favoured items of sheer hosiery.

KaF
:58674be234469_EmojiSmiley-08:

They offer easy access tho 😍👍🏻😉

My being a stocking fan from the good old days before tights were worn, other than by ballet dancers, when all women wore FFNs with suspenders, the mould was cast in my mind.
I generally consider tights to be unpleasant and very seldom to be sexy.
Hold-ups are a modern incarnation for stockings, not a patch on FFN.s or RHT and at leat 6 suspender straps.

This view comes from being old, I date from WWII.
Could not beat the view in the window of a laties lingerie shop, all girdles, corselettes and suspenders!

NylonBil 

I count stockings and hold ups as the same. Mrs Dunn sometimes wears hold ups with a separate suspender belt. Sometimes she will wear hold ups with suspenders that are part of her knickers. So as part of the foreplay, I have to un-clip her before her knickers are removed. But with hold ups they stay on, Stockings in that situation fall down. At other times she will keep to stockings. She also will wear tights (occasionally with seams) to confuse and confound. All depends upon the outfit. And in summer, she is bare legged. All very acceptable. Rarely in trousers.

From a male member who wears holdups (thigh highs in US) because they come very long which I need.  But I always keep them up with a good six strap belt with wide metal clasps.  I find that the metal clasps can be fastened right into the welts on the holdups.

On 12/20/2017 at 5:41 AM, Lisa x said:

IMHO,

Hold ups are Hold ups...

Tights are Tights...

Lisa x

On 12/20/2017 at 6:51 AM, SeamsFFun said:

KaF

Any time the term "adorning" (or its derivatives) is used, all of us are reminded of SeamsFFun's limited vocabulary! :58674be8def50_EmojiSmiley-19:

5 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Any time the term "adorning" (or its derivatives) is used, all of us are reminded of SeamsFFun's limited vocabulary! :58674be8def50_EmojiSmiley-19:

He saves the best bits for the blog.

Either elasticated tops or not, stockings are stockings.

They'll always be better with suspenders, but still a whole heap sexier than tights.

I sometimes wear hold-ups, but always with sussies now, after too many fall-down incidents.

Sometimes I wear hold ups when I am in a rush to get dressed. I don’t have an issue with them - I just think that they are more uncomfortable than vintage gartered stockings. I take them off the second I get home and take the time to properly garter up. :) 

my take: anything is better and sexier than pantyhose.