John S

I was just thinking

5 posts in this topic

Some of you may think the title to be a little OTT for me (LOL) but joking apart many of us on these forums see fully fashioned stockings being the epitome of elegance and classiness to finish off a special outfit.  However, it appears increasingly difficult to obtain this type of stocking in certain size/colour combinations from online suppliers like for example SHQ (I know that you can buy directly from Gio but these are usually more expensive both product and delivery)

I know the manufacturing process is slow and labour intensive and there are 5 different heel designs but we do not find it easy to order size 10.5'' in either chocolate or black (point heel) on a regular basis, does this mean that  there is  a higher demand for such products, so, have you or your colleagues started wearing/re-wearing/wearing more frequently/buying several pairs when stock arrives to cause a shortage or are the manufacturers finding it difficult to keep up with demand?

We tend to order the lighter colours in 10.5 and quite often find it difficult to get the heel design and colour combination that we want. Perhaps fewer stockings are produced in this size due to there being proportionally  fewer women tall enough and with this larger foot size. It is even harder to get genuine vintage fully fashioned stockings in 10.5 with a longer leg length.

Even buying direct from Gio can sometimes be disappointing when you select the heel type and the size only to find the one colour that you are after is out of stock! 

It's probably due to the fact that we humans are getting taller each generation, so it stands to reason, the longer leg length will be more in demand than shorter ones.

I know that Mrs JS was tall for her generation, but it isn't uncommon to see females of 5'10'' in their 40's these days (who would probably wear these types of stockings), so are the manufactures not producing enough of the more popular sizes?

The problem is not restricted to fully fashioned stockings, we also have found that holdups are rarely long enough. In general the cheaper brands tend to be too short and unfortunately most of the more expensive fashion styles are not sized for the longer leg either. Many times we have followed the size chart thinking that they will be long enough only to be disappointed when trying them on.