lone_ranger

When most women wore stockings...

10 posts in this topic

A few of the gents of a certain age might recall the glamour magazines Spick and Span, very popular in the late 50s and early 60s. Almost all the pics were ladies in stockings but, of course, that just reflected what all women wore at the time. I have just added an album devoted to Adrienne Houston in some delightful poses. Hope you enjoy

Stockings were just that. They were stockings and it wanted "tights" to remind us of what many people lost.

And, reading this forum, Oh, did we know what we had?

My ex hubby grew up with all women around him wearing stockings.  I grew up in transition to tights but I remained with stockings, where my friends started or converted to tights

20 hours ago, blackmacjay said:

Stockings were just that. They were stockings and it wanted "tights" to remind us of what many people lost.

And, reading this forum, Oh, did we know what we had?

Yes - at the time I certainly knew that stockings were something special.

Was brought up in a home where stockings were the norm . Same with hubby so we both don't think it is unusual. What we wonder though is us ladies look so good in them and the reaction we get,why dont more wear them . To lazy my guess .Shame we have lost that feminine look. To bad for all

I was also brought up in the era when stockings were always worn both by ladies and girls over 12 years old on a regular basis and the transition to tights didn't start until I was about 19, so they were just looked on as a normal piece (albeit special) of female attire.

Mrs JS also wore stockings in her teenage years and I am lucky that she wears and has worn regularly since we got married in 1975. 

Edited by John S

Lots of girls I knew in the 1960's always wore stockings under denim jeans as well as with a skirt or dress.

My girlfriend in the mid-sixties was a regular stocking wearer - always sheer, 100% nylon, dark tan/coffee and sometimes black. Looked and felt stunning under a very favourite moss green, figure-hugging jersey dress, of splendidly 'variable' length.

When hemlines dramatically rose in around '65, stocking wearing became a tad risque - unless you could find them really long, which was difficult. She was quite an expert seamstress, and I remember her running up a couple of striking one-piece jump suits, in shiny cire nylon, with chunky long zip from collar to crotch. Her Mum did not approve of either of these!. As a preferred nylons wearer, it was always suspender belt and sheer hose under these wonderful jump suits, the full-length zip proving an opening of delicious effect.

In the summer, sheers could give way to light-coloured or brown fishnets, over tanned legs.

Means of transport for a 1966 was a Vespa scooter, and a short mini-dress or skirt and stockings wasn't really on, so followed experimentation with the newly-available tights. Sheer-to-waist wasn't common in the early years, and most tights (especially the 20D and 30D variety) had reinforced tops; so, even though thighs were encased, the shortest skirts still showed 'tops' - which could be quite intriguing, if you weren't sure . . .

For several years, tights (and high hemlines) were routine wear, and we both went through our student days, near Manchester, together.  I do recall it was the norm, then, when wearing a bum-skimming miniskirt, to wear ones panties over tights, rather than under; many of the girls at College liked to provide a cheeky flash of colourful knicker from time to time.. Such were the delights of the newly-liberated '70s!

Practical though tights were on a daily basis, my girlfriend always had a love of the look, feel and comfort of real nylon (and was I going to argue with that?), and for every special occasion, when dressing up was preferred, she reached for the suspenders and sheers.  Those occasions ran to parties, family gatherings and nights out (and in) with special friends.  When we both graduated in the summer of 1971, I guess the Vice Chancellor had no idea that underneath that fitted silk dress was basque and stockings.

And over the years of work that followed, commuting as she did to central London, a very civil servant, her preference for stockings never waned, nor lost its delightful appeal - an ever-present reminder of the power to both intrigue and arouse.

15 minutes ago, Chrissie said:

My girlfriend in the mid-sixties was a regular stocking wearer - always sheer, 100% nylon, dark tan/coffee and sometimes black. Looked and felt stunning under a very favourite moss green, figure-hugging jersey dress, of splendidly 'variable' length.

When hemlines dramatically rose in around '65, stocking wearing became a tad risque - unless you could find them really long, which was difficult. She was quite an expert seamstress, and I remember her running up a couple of striking one-piece jump suits, in shiny cire nylon, with chunky long zip from collar to crotch. Her Mum did not approve of either of these!. As a preferred nylons wearer, it was always suspender belt and sheer hose under these wonderful jump suits, the full-length zip proving an opening of delicious effect.

In the summer, sheers could give way to light-coloured or brown fishnets, over tanned legs.

Means of transport for a 1966 was a Vespa scooter, and a short mini-dress or skirt and stockings wasn't really on, so followed experimentation with the newly-available tights. Sheer-to-waist wasn't common in the early years, and most tights (especially the 20D and 30D variety) had reinforced tops; so, even though thighs were encased, the shortest skirts still showed 'tops' - which could be quite intriguing, if you weren't sure . . .

For several years, tights (and high hemlines) were routine wear, and we both went through our student days, near Manchester, together.  I do recall it was the norm, then, when wearing a bum-skimming miniskirt, to wear ones panties over tights, rather than under; many of the girls at College liked to provide a cheeky flash of colourful knicker from time to time.. Such were the delights of the newly-liberated '70s!

Practical though tights were on a daily basis, my girlfriend always had a love of the look, feel and comfort of real nylon (and was I going to argue with that?), and for every special occasion, when dressing up was preferred, she reached for the suspenders and sheers.  Those occasions ran to parties, family gatherings and nights out (and in) with special friends.  When we both graduated in the summer of 1971, I guess the Vice Chancellor had no idea that underneath that fitted silk dress was basque and stockings.

And over the years of work that followed, commuting as she did to central London, a very civil servant, her preference for stockings never waned, nor lost its delightful appeal - an ever-present reminder of the power to both intrigue and arouse.

What a great story. It echoes my experience too all though not through to marriage. I remember the knickers over tights very well and would add that a lot of girls wore two pairs of knickers, one under and as you say, a colourful pair over. This practice came in handy in the disco when the song, 'Jump up and down and wave your knickers in the air' was played.

Great times.