Alan_unabashed

New member from USA

9 posts in this topic

Hello to All -- I am a 66-year old married man, who has been wearing tights for five or six years.  I'm very pleased to join this forum, and discuss this topic with other men and women.  I've been discovering this fashion element by myself, so I will welcome any comments and suggestions.  First, I'll give a 'short' history.

Where I live, in 'upstate' New York, it's cold for about six months of the year, so I began looking for a sort of long underwear that was not bulky under jeans and slacks.  I have a size 30 waist, and I like to wear snug-fitting jeans, so I needed thin thermal underwear.  I found some at Activeskins (from Ohio), and ordered several pairs.  These seemed to help the cold problem, I discovered that I liked the feeling of compression, and also the look.  (I exercise at the local gym on a regular basis; I have a normal BMI and well-toned muscles. I'm 5' 11" and weigh 162 pounds.)  While I like the Activeskin products, I started to look for colors other than black, and decided that Peavey offered more choices in skin tones, from light to dark.  In the process, I also ran into Leg Avenue tights that come in plaid and argyle patterns.

The next step was that I began wearing tights under shorts as the weather became warmer.  I saw that this was an emerging men's fashion style, and I read suggestions from various lady fashion experts on men's clothing.  Following their guidance, I tend to go with a conservative, color-coordinated look - and the tights I use are usually skin-toned, black or blue, depending on the colors of the shirt and shorts. Footwear is generally black or dark brown leather clogs.  The short's inseam lengths are usually just above the knee, and the shirts are usually 'nice casual' button-down type.  Occasionally, I will wear shorts that are mid-thigh if I want to show a little more.  I wear tights everywhere I go - all types of shopping, to the bank, to church, or out to dinner, if the venue is appropriate, even to the auto parts stores.  I have had several compliments on my outfits, and my general sense is that women are intrigued with them. Though I have received compliments from men, I suspect that most men are perplexed with my choices.

Another aspect of this is the need to pay more attention to grooming than one normally might: keeping one's feet very clean and in good condition, trimming nails frequently, so as not to snag the tights in the toe region, removing calluses, and shaving the legs.  I always wear either a g-string or thong under the tights.

This region in NY isn't known for being cultured or receptive of new ideas - so I am the only person I ever see wearing tights in public.  At the gym, I see only one or two other men who are wearing tight leggings without shorts, other than myself.  Outside the gym, I think that wearing tights or pantyhose with shorts is preferable to bare legs (and the usual sloppy look you will see from most men).  To try to put this in better perspective, say, to go grocery shopping, I tend to be somewhat more dressed-up than the average guy there at the supermarket - in addition, my legs will be a dark brown color, or a shade of blue.  That's about it. 

My wife is generally supportive of my wearing tights, but she remains perplexed largely because she hates wearing them herself - she wears knee-highs.  She doesn't like all of the colors I have, but the ones that are skin-toned seem to be the most preferable to her.  I think she's a good sport.

When dressed this way, when I meet new women, I notice that their eyes will meet mine initially, then make a quick vertical scan from head-to-toe and back again.  They are usually warm and quite cordial to me.  Saleswomen are usually especially warm to me, often coming around the counter to hand me my packages directly.  Usually this isn't done here in the USA.  

I guess this is all I have to mention - sorry to have gone on so.  Would love to hear any support or suggestions from you all.  I'm going to try to upload one photo of my legs for you to see.  Oops - looks like I've done it twice.  

Best regards,

AlanPB260009.JPGPB260009.JPG         

Hi Rowlf -- thanks for your reply.  I think what has done it for me is having a gym membership.  I've been going four days per week for the last eleven years.  I do machines and free weights MWF, and swim on Saturday mornings.  I start each session with a series of seven different abs exercises, or do a 'plank' exercise instead.  This is just for staying toned, not really strength training.  At my age, I'm trying not to damage my joints.  So far, so good on that.  

Welcome to the SHQ forums.  Your wearing of tights is both inspiring and awesome in this day and age. As you have described your wearing it all sounds so familiar as i live in northern Wisconsin where the weather patterns can be much like New York state. Ive also found that by wearing support nylons, my legs feel much better after a long day at work and leg cramps were greatly reduced.

But anyway we are glad to have you join us here on the forums and perhaps we shall see you in the chat room as well.

Michelle CD

Hi Michelle --  Thanks very much for your reply and the welcome to the forum - it is good to know that I am not alone out here.  I hear you on the Wisconsin winters - I was in Kohler in February, several years ago, and I could not believe how cold it was!  We'll keep in touch .. thanks again.

Alan 

:58674bdf747cb_EmojiSmiley-04:  Hi Alan, welcome to Tights & More Forum [TAM].   66, no way! You're kidding us, with those legs.  Now you need to be a bit more adventurous.  Have a look at Trasparenze products - such fun designs - although the more interesting designs don't appear to be available on SHQ, unfortunately.  However, you may not wish to startle NY State with them just yet!

Edited by violet

Welcome Alan, Great to have another tights lover on the site. Fantastic legs. Love to see more of them and looking forward to some great chats with you too

x

Welcome to SHQ Alan. Great legs you have 

Hi Alan, I must say you do have great legs but you obviously put in the effort to keep in shape. It’s really good that you’re trail blazing tights fashion in NY. Keep up the good work😀