Trinity

Mugabe

208 posts in this topic

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:17 AM, luckyme said:

 Not sure what you mean of 'brutal repression' but I suppose you mean the slave trade, but it was the Arabs and other local tribes who captured these slaves in the first place and don't forget, Bristol and Liverpool would still be fishing villages.

 

Who knew that the slave trade gave us The Beatles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mary H-G said:

Sigh, we all have human DNA. Is that close enough?

Dear Mary, you'll find Rowlfie will make all manner of racist, bigoted and plain old stooped comments at least 33% of the time. I don't believe there is any actual malice behind these comments. He's kinda  like Forrest Gump. Except he can't play ping pong, and doesn't own Bubba Gump Shrimp. Or any shares in Apple. He also has a very poor understanding of cause and effect. He thinks that the USA  can simply do as it pleases around the globe and cannot be held responsible or accountable for any repercussions that may result.  Still, I like the guy, despite his obvious and many  faults. Humour him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, rowlf said:

No, it's not. Not for the point I was attempting to make. Why don't you just tell me what you think about this African experience?

Despots can spring up anywhere in the world, be of any race, religion or whatever other metric you want to use.

It's built into the human psyche, who can say if given the chance would we do the same thing?

History tells us this isn't a uniquely African thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trinity said:

Dear Mary, you'll find Rowlfie will make all manner of racist, bigoted and plain old stooped comments at least 33% of the time. I don't believe there is any actual malice behind these comments. He's kinda  like Forrest Gump. Except he can't play ping pong, and doesn't own Bubba Gump Shrimp. Or any shares in Apple. He also has a very poor understanding of cause and effect. He thinks that the USA  can simply do as it pleases around the globe and cannot be held responsible or accountable for any repercussions that may result.  Still, I like the guy, despite his obvious and many  faults. Humour him.

I guessed as much :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mary H-G said:

Despots can spring up anywhere in the world, be of any race, religion or whatever other metric you want to use.

It's built into the human psyche, who can say if given the chance would we do the same thing?

History tells us this isn't a uniquely African thing

Ok. I'll rethink what I posted. I could be wrong??????:58674be6ca98e_EmojiSmiley-15: My angst comes when people would rather play the 'blame game' instead of seeking the root of the problem. According to popular belief, this is the 'cradle of civilization'. I don't whether us white boys helped or hurt the African continent. But that was then, this is now.

It's really nice that you challenged my opinion without going off the deep end and calling me names. I appreciate that! Stick around. I'm starting to wonder if my first post on this matter was a little snarky.

Nah! Not me! My mum always told me I was perfect!:58674be5c2392_EmojiSmiley-13:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Trinity said:

Dear Mary, you'll find Rowlfie will make all manner of racist, bigoted and plain old stooped comments at least 33% of the time.

Even now, you have practiced political correctness for so long, you believe it is true. I'll say this. I may be right about this topic, or I may be wrong. But the only racism you will see is in your own mind. Not in mine. We are all children of God. And we're not bad cos we're white, and we're not good cos we're black.

Despite melon's belief and posts, there is a huge difference between pc and common sense. There is no freedom of speech in political correctness. If our society can't realize this, we're screwed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, rowlf said:

You're too young for this, but in the 60's we danced to the 'watusi', and I'm fairly certain you Brits didn't pass it on to the Africans.

I have done a bit more research.
WATUSI
A popular song in the early 1960s. It was recorded several times and known by various names including “Monkey Watusi" and in its latinised form ”El Watusi”.
The naming of the dance may have been inspired, by a scene in the film King Solomon's Mines which featured Tutsi dancers.

It is a solo dance, which may explain why Rowlf remembers it so well.

In the classic Watusi, (you need to stand up for this) the dancer is almost stationary with knees slightly bent, although may move forward and back by one or two small rhythmic paces. The arms, with palms flat in line, are held almost straight, alternately flail up and down in the vertical. The head is kept in line with the upper torso but may bob slightly to accentuate the arm flailing. The dance, which became popular in the American surf/beach sub-culture of the 1960s, may be enhanced if one imagines that one's feet are on sand.

They knew how to live in them 60s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, rowlf said:

Ok. I'll rethink what I posted. I could be wrong??????:58674be6ca98e_EmojiSmiley-15: My angst comes when people would rather play the 'blame game' instead of seeking the root of the problem. According to popular belief, this is the 'cradle of civilization'. I don't whether us white boys helped or hurt the African continent. But that was then, this is now.

It's really nice that you challenged my opinion without going off the deep end and calling me names. I appreciate that! Stick around. I'm starting to wonder if my first post on this matter was a little snarky.

Nah! Not me! My mum always told me I was perfect!:58674be5c2392_EmojiSmiley-13:

I believe the 'cradle of civilisation' was the middle east but I could be wrong.

You 'white boys' changed the shape of an entire continent, , personally I think the hurt outweighs the help :)

Its good to see you realise your opinions might, just might, be not always 100% right :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mary H-G said:

I believe the 'cradle of civilisation' was the middle east but I could be wrong.

You 'white boys' changed the shape of an entire continent, , personally I think the hurt outweighs the help :)

Its good to see you realise your opinions might, just might, be not always 100% right :)

Well, I've heard rumors that some of the middle east may be in Africa, but I could be wrong................:58674be5c2392_EmojiSmiley-13:

If you think that we were detrimental in our exploitation of the continent, then I respect your opinion. But why stop there? Just say that us white boys have been bad for the entire world............if it makes you feel better. Then possibly those red and yellow ones have caused the same detrimental influence. Even the blacks have been known to capture their own and sell them for slaves. So where does that leave us? It leaves us to do every thing possible to keep from doing bad things, and to prevent anyone else from doing bad things, in the future.

I've known for quite some time that a very few of my opinions may be wrong, but I see no reason in making it public on a regular basis.:58674bdf747cb_EmojiSmiley-04:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mary H-G said:

I believe the 'cradle of civilisation' was the middle east but I could be wrong.

You 'white boys' changed the shape of an entire continent, , personally I think the hurt outweighs the help :)

Its good to see you realise your opinions might, just might, be not always 100% right :)

I'm not sure if Egypt could be called the 'Far East', the 'Middle East' or if such a place exists, the 'Near East', but don't forget this country held the whole populance of another Eastern country as slaves for many a long year.

So us whiteys can't be blamed for the invention of slavery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, helen said:

 

In the classic Watusi, (you need to stand up for this) the dancer is almost stationary with knees slightly bent, although may move forward and back by one or two small rhythmic paces. The arms, with palms flat in line, are held almost straight, alternately flail up and down in the vertical. The head is kept in line with the upper torso but may bob slightly to accentuate the arm flailing. The dance, which became popular in the American surf/beach sub-culture of the 1960s, may be enhanced if one imagines that one's feet are on sand.

They knew how to live in them 60s.

1

Many members who inhabit one of our forums still do this dance I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, luckyme said:

I'm not sure if Egypt could be called the 'Far East', the 'Middle East' or if such a place exists, the 'Near East', but don't forget this country held the whole populance of another Eastern country as slaves for many a long year.

So us whiteys can't be blamed for the invention of slavery.

I think slavery has been part of civilisation much longer than it hasn't.

Thankfully it's something most of the world has grown out of :)

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mary H-G said:

I think slavery has been part of civilisation much longer than it hasn't.

Thankfully it's something most of the world has grown out of :)

 

 

 

 

I have heard that young women from certain countires are still sold as slaves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Mary H-G said:

I think slavery has been part of civilisation much longer than it hasn't.

Thankfully it's something most of the world has grown out of :)

 

 

 

 

Could you tell me which country does NOT have slaves?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rowlf said:

Well, I've heard rumors that some of the middle east may be in Africa, but I could be wrong................:58674be5c2392_EmojiSmiley-13:

If you think that we were detrimental in our exploitation of the continent, then I respect your opinion. But why stop there? Just say that us white boys have been bad for the entire world............if it makes you feel better. Then possibly those red and yellow ones have caused the same detrimental influence. Even the blacks have been known to capture their own and sell them for slaves. So where does that leave us? It leaves us to do every thing possible to keep from doing bad things, and to prevent anyone else from doing bad things, in the future.

What is all this ‘we’ and ’us’ Mr. Rowlf? Are you just European for the day or have you moved?

’Cradle of civilisation’ sounds like Freudian slip to me. Perhaps it should read ‘Cradle of European civilization.’ They say the ancient Romans thought they ruled the world even though they must have known it extended far beyond their little empire. Either way I wonder what the rest of the world would have made of the claim. ‘Just those loud-mouthed Euro-kids showing off again.’ We haven’t changed much.
We tend to judge past civilizations by the art and the architecture they left behind, which means nomadic cultures didn’t count and we have treated them accordingly over the centuries. What will future generations make of what we leave for them? After all Europeans have destroyed much of their old heritage and replaced it with crass vulgarity, perhaps we will be remembered as a layer of plastic bottles.
I suppose all cultures have done terrible things to others in the name of being right, dogma can justify anything. The history of British involvement in African slavery is well known and ‘we’ cannot wriggle out of it, even an American cannot re-write history that well.

You say ’It leaves ‘us’ to do every thing possible to keep from doing bad things, and to prevent anyone else from doing bad things, in the future.’ That sounds like a threat of a pre-emptive strike to me.

You can set yourself up as judge and jury if you like, but the next time some terrorist group attacks your shoppers or sets off an atom bomb in New York harbour don’t be too hard on them, they are only thinking the same way you do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, helen said:

What is all this ‘we’ and ’us’ Mr. Rowlf? Are you just European for the day or have you moved?

’Cradle of civilisation’ sounds like Freudian slip to me. Perhaps it should read ‘Cradle of European civilization.’ They say the ancient Romans thought they ruled the world even though they must have known it extended far beyond their little empire. Either way I wonder what the rest of the world would have made of the claim. ‘Just those loud-mouthed Euro-kids showing off again.’ We haven’t changed much.
We tend to judge past civilizations by the art and the architecture they left behind, which means nomadic cultures didn’t count and we have treated them accordingly over the centuries. What will future generations make of what we leave for them? After all Europeans have destroyed much of their old heritage and replaced it with crass vulgarity, perhaps we will be remembered as a layer of plastic bottles.
I suppose all cultures have done terrible things to others in the name of being right, dogma can justify anything. The history of British involvement in African slavery is well known and ‘we’ cannot wriggle out of it, even an American cannot re-write history that well.

You say ’It leaves ‘us’ to do every thing possible to keep from doing bad things, and to prevent anyone else from doing bad things, in the future.’ That sounds like a threat of a pre-emptive strike to me.

You can set yourself up as judge and jury if you like, but the next time some terrorist group attacks your shoppers or sets off an atom bomb in New York harbour don’t be too hard on them, they are only thinking the same way you do.

I'm of Irish heritage, so I think I'm allowed to say that. Even if that wasn't the case, I must've come from somewhere. I don't believe those that I've overheard saying that I was, 'Found under a rock'. Or I could say I am just another one of those cells living in this organism.

However, I should ask you about the judging past civilizations. We using the word 'we', you must have a mouse in your pocket. Because I certainly don't agree with you.

I once worried about what we left for future generations, but not so much anymore. The only meaningful thing we can leave them is a respect for our accomplishments, or falling short of that, what we attempted to achieve. If we can't earn their respect. Or if they turn on the values that we held dearly, then nothing is left for them. They refuse to learn from our history, and reject the process that had taken place, we leave them nothing. Not even a way of life.

After writing all this, I am making the case against myself. I seem to be in the minority of us 'civilized' hoomans that still believe that we are stronger. That we are the righteous. If the majority feels otherwise, then we are doomed. The only bright spot in that the lying down and giving up will be virtually painless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/11/2017 at 1:22 PM, rowlf said:

I'm not your sweetie, you wonton hussy. And it's the prostitutes that Trump supposedly sent to pee in the bed Obama and Michelle, my bell, slept in, is the only bed I'm aware of.

That’s ‘wanton’. Wonton is Chinese food.

’Michelle, my bell...’ - that’s ‘belle’, as in the French word for ‘beautiful’.

’Bell’ is a hollow or empty vessel that makes a lot of noise. 

How apt.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ECCouple said:

That’s ‘wanton’. Wonton is Chinese food.

’Michelle, my bell...’ - that’s ‘belle’, as in the French word for ‘beautiful’.

’Bell’ is a hollow or empty vessel that makes a lot of noise. 

How apt.

 

I respect that. You make a lot of sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2017 at 2:31 AM, rowlf said:

 And we're not bad cos we're white, and we're not good cos we're black.

And we're not bad; cos we're white !
And' we're not good cos we're black... sounds like some racist placard right there Rowlfie.

At least you're not transphobic. It's a start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rowlf said:

I seem to be in the minority of us 'civilized' hoomans that still believe that we are stronger. That we are the righteous.

All we really need now is the return of Mr Cotton Nash to give us a 63,000 word essay explaining why slavery was necessary for the efficient functioning of capitalism and free enterprise globally. And that now African's can thank American's for giving them McDonalds so that they no longer have to starve to death.

Gosh I missed these good times down here in the OTF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, luckyme said:

Could you tell me which country does NOT have slaves?

Iceland?

Modern slavery probably exists in virtually every country in the world

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Trinity said:

All we really need now is the return of Mr Cotton Nash to give us a 63,000 word essay explaining why slavery was necessary for the efficient functioning of capitalism and free enterprise globally. And that now African's can thank American's for giving them McDonalds so that they no longer have to starve to death.

Gosh I missed these good times down here in the OTF.

lots of passive aggressive posters on here isn't there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mary H-G said:

lots of passive aggressive posters on here isn't there?

Oh, the real stickler is gone. I believe he got a commission photographing trees for the botanical weekly. The remaining chaps here are lambs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Trinity said:

Oh, the real stickler is gone. I believe he got a commission photographing trees for the botanical weekly. The remaining chaps here are lambs. 

baa!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Trinity said:

Oh, the real stickler is gone. I believe he got a commission photographing trees for the botanical weekly. The remaining chaps here are lambs. 

branch out did he....????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, rowlf said:

I'm of Irish heritage, so I think I'm allowed to say that. Even if that wasn't the case, I must've come from somewhere. I don't believe those that I've overheard saying that I was, 'Found under a rock'. Or I could say I am just another one of those cells living in this organism.

You can be Irish or American, not both. If you choose to be one of 'us' you must renounce the Trump and all his works.

No flip-flopping!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, helen said:

You can be Irish or American, not both. If you choose to be one of 'us' you must renounce the Trump and all his works.

No flip-flopping!

Not sure of my heritage and not really bothered, but you seem to be 'both' and I have no inclination to be one of 'you'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/11/2017 at 4:35 PM, rowlf said:

Not wanting in the least bit to appear racist, do ya think it may be in their dna?

Sorry, but that comment is abhorrent and IMO totally racist to anyone African.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, nice1bruva said:

Sorry, but that comment is abhorrent and IMO totally racist to anyone African.

I imagine a lot of comments plunk your magic twanger..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, helen said:

You can be Irish or American, not both. If you choose to be one of 'us' you must renounce the Trump and all his works.

No flip-flopping!

I can't be Irish- American? I wish someone had told me that long time ago. I'm going to have to cut down on my drinking............:58674be973f66_EmojiSmiley-20:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, rowlf said:

I imagine a lot of comments plunk your magic twanger..........

Not getting into an argument with you as i don't suffer fools and racists 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, nice1bruva said:

Not getting into an argument with you as i don't suffer fools and racists 

 

Then why post your dribble to begin with? To confirm your ignorance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, rowlf said:

Then why post your dribble to begin with? To confirm your ignorance?

I believe the word you're looking for is 'drivel'. Thank you though racist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nice1bruva said:

I believe the word you're looking for is 'drivel'. Thank you though racist. 

Please, let's not argue.............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rowlf said:

Please, let's not argue.............

I'm not thank you Mr racist. 

Edited by nice1bruva

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, helen said:

You can be Irish or American, not both. If you choose to be one of 'us' you must renounce the Trump and all his works.

No flip-flopping!

Are those your legs? If so I think they're awfully sexy............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nice1bruva said:

I believe the word you're looking for is 'drivel'. Thank you though racist. 

No, IMO he had it right the first time.

Dribble!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now