Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
littlewing legs

Denier indentification

4 posts in this topic

In a local pub I used to frequent, The barman (an ex pretty polly salesman) said he could tell exactly the denier of stockings or tights worn in the pub. Dont know why he told me a secrect stocking lover, but wondered if anybody else can spot a 15 from 20 or has another tale.

Littlewing legs

Hi Littlewing.

With plain flat knits it is pretty easy to see the differences between typical Vintage 15 deniers and the heavier weaves which were usually 30 denier. I admit I am not familiar with contemporary styles as I understand there to plain flat knits in 8 and 10 and as you allude 20. The lighter ones would be very light like spider webbing, certainly nice though also entirely fragile. The bloke you speak of probably has the possibility of a discerning and quite discriminating eye due to his familiarity with the business. Though I could generally say I could tell between a 15 and 30 I do not believe I could say the same between say 15 and 20. To the touch I'd say there to be an appreciable difference. I'm getting the impression that at least in your parts of the World one might encounter circumstances where one could actually see women wearing finer deniers. I am not able to say the last time I saw a woman wear any type of "nice" hosiery but then again I hang around Ann Arbor where fashion follows the flow where almost any hosiery is a no go. 

Bottom line: this fellow is likely expert enough to know where as I will say I would not be. Then again, Stockingsadmirer may be right... 

Best, 

Dworkin  

1 person likes this

I believe that he is an expert and can tell the difference. A story to illustrate ...

My brother-in-law was fitting a new brake cylinder to his car, but the brakes would not work. A friend of his, a trained mechanic, turned up and looked at what he was doing. 'You are using the wrong washer', he said. 'You must use this one.' My brother-in-law used the other washer and the brakes worked!

Neither he nor I could see any discernible difference between the two washers.

Experts seemingly (seamingly?) can.

:-)

1 person likes this