pauldj

Garters - short straps

8 posts in this topic

My wife is looking for 6-strap garter belts with short straps.

She is on the short end (160cm, 5'2"), and wears skirts above the knee. We have no problem finding garter belts for her waist size, but the straps tend to be too long. Any ideas/recommendations? (Brands, links, ..)

Thank you!!

Edited by pauldj

My missus also has the same problem, this deters her from wearing on a daily basis. Recommendations would be great

Take them to seamstress to have them altered, if the Mrs didn’t partake in ‘sewing’ when at school :58674c1aabbb8_EmojiSmiley-106: :58674be0c2f40_EmojiSmiley-06:

Edited by stockingsadmirer68

Quite a few of us wear our stockings high, and so cut and shorten the straps on belts and basques to suit. If you look at the construction of the straps, snipping the cotton and resewing shorter is not a difficult job.

Rikki xx

Edited by Rikki

not exactly difficult it is! ever better if wife wearing such and you do the snipping and measuring up etc :58674bde4b3fb_EmojiSmiley-02:

Hi Pauldj.

The way to shorter straps is as stated to do it yourself or have a seamster do so. Shorter strap versions of the garment do exist though they are generally Vintage (50 years or older) and not very common a find. The reasons have that the popularity of Classic or Traditional hosiery is not enough to justify marketing anything with shorter straps. Another reason has that over the generations since hosiery was in it's heyday better nutrition has that people overall (at least in those parts of the planet where food sources are more abundant) have physically become "bigger" in size. Back in the 1940's and 50's people were appreciably shorter and smaller in stature then today and one reason related has that folks (at least in the US) don't cook veggies to death as was done those decades ago. Not uncommon that for whatever reasons vegetables in particular were cooked to mush along with most of the nutritional value. This was just one of those things that people did, much like guys wearing hats or women wearing stockings. 

Anyway, just another take from an askance viewpoint that may explain why these off the rack specialty garments lacking shorter straps may be odd. Hope that helps.

Best, 

Dworkin    

being only 5'1" myself i know adjusting garters with some nylons can be a problem. i often resorted to rolling the tops over a bit to shorten the nylons.