snakebite

garter tab/clips "bare vs. covered"

12 posts in this topic

What do you prefer? Elaborate "comfort" and its "looks"

1) Comfortable soft silicon tabs which dont "cut" into the skin but might rub against the skin (historicity feel and view might be of value)

or

2) Clips are elegantly covered with a satin band (perhaps to avoid rubbing against the skin or trying to hide bumps under the outfit) 

20171010_204947.jpg

Greetings there Snake.

There is not much in the manner of options offered here so I'll add that which is age old at least with me. Loose the ribbons, they suck. As designed to hide and smooth the bumps they function quite nicely though I'd say there are many who like the telltale outlines, it adds a distinction. However, in strict fashion circles the purists will insist on diminishing or at the least minimizing any showing. As to the actual garter (as presented in the pic- a classic polished round metal wire type with an adjustable clasp) I prefer the old fashioned ones with a rubber button on cloth backing. The plastic or in this case silicone backing are more durable as lets face it- the cloth ones do wear out. One absolute is to avoid any of that plastic garter rubbish as I feel such is hardly fit for bedroom wear and does little to nothing for the eyes. Call me "old school" and I'll be happy to teach the class. Hope that offers some insights.

All the Best, 

Dworkin

Hi Snakebite:

This is an interesting topic. I've been wearing stockings since 1961 and would have to say I prefer garters with the satin ribbon. My mother taught me that (in the day) satin ribbons on garters was the mark of superior quality foundation garments. Back then, satin ribbons were found only on control garments, not on garter belts. 

Modesty was very important back then and the ribbons did help to minimize the visibility of one's garters through a tight skirt, particularly when wearing a slip, which was mandatory back then. My first dress-up girdle which I got at age 12 was a 4 garter OBG with the satin ribbons. As an awkward kid, I found the ribbons to be somewhat difficult to deal with and often removed them. But as an adult, I love the way they add a touch of elegance to the whole getting dressed experience. To me, they represent the ultimate in femininity. When they wear out, I always replace them. 

Karen

i never really saw or felt the difference. i usually wore a slip anyway.

My wife wears stockings and a suspender belt when we go out to dinner and they have regular clips and ones with the satin covers. So I asked her and she is going to sew all the missing covers back on.

But, her answer is that she likes the covers because they are "Nicer".

Not that I ever thought the uncovered ones were not nice but she "who must be obeyed" wants nice.

I raised this point on ribbons a few years ago and the consensus then was to get rid of the things.

I quite like the look of them personally but let's see how the thread pans out on its second trip around the block.

Plain are more practical but ribbons are definitely classier! I bought an SHQ(of course!) bubblegum pink 6 strap suspender belt t'other day and it had no ribbons. Handy as I remove them anyway! I guess the old adage "you pays your money and you takes your choice" is apt! Loving my new belt though. xx

Edited by Melissa S.

I prefer them with ribbons, they are more comfortable,more discrete and I think look 'classier' and not cheap.

Without doubt, it looks more pleasing on the eye to see the clips  covered. Similarly tea always tastes better when served from a bone china teapot and gravy tastes much  nicer when served from an elegant gravy boat.

No ribbons for me.

For wearing on a daily basis and practical reasons, I remove them from belts. Only needless decoration.

With out but I think that's the "purest" or totally retro approach we're after.  Really, it just comes down to "the look" and your preference.