leggypat

where i used to get my alberts nylons!

17 posts in this topic

I'd love to see you wearing them again!

Is the shop no longer there or has it stopped stocking stockings? :58674be6ca98e_EmojiSmiley-15: 

I can’t make out if that’s a current or an old photo? 🎥 

Edited by stockingsadmirer68

8 hours ago, leggypat said:

downtown crossing in boston.

Fabulous old school photo and a shop that looked so tempting, no wonder you wandered in Pat.

Love to see you in their products and flashing your wondrous legs at us.

Boston is the #1 city on my bucket to visit list.

KtF
:58674be234469_EmojiSmiley-08:

it was boston in the early 80's. the downtown crossing shopping area. alberts is no longer in business that i know of. this shop closed in the late 80's or early 90's. my husband actually found it usually stopped in there when he'd be there on business. i made a few visits myself.

36 minutes ago, leggypat said:

it was boston in the early 80's. the downtown crossing shopping area. alberts is no longer in business that i know of. this shop closed in the late 80's or early 90's. my husband actually found it usually stopped in there when he'd be there on business. i made a few visits myself.

Thank you for the added information Pat, much appreciated 👍🏻

45 minutes ago, leggypat said:

You'd be just a slip of a lass in those days, Pat. :58674be18a3d6_EmojiSmiley-07:

On 10/6/2017 at 8:37 PM, JennieJ_cd said:

I'd love to see you wearing them again!

I second that motion!

I know the place well.  Both Boston and this particular Alberts. Wasn't there another Alberts in Government Square?

Hi Pat:

That photo sure brings back memories!

The Downtown Crossing shop is where I bought my Albert's hosiery too, as it was near the office where I worked on Summer St. There was also an Albert's in the Prudential Building shopping arcade that I visited a few times aa well.  

I remember being fascinated by this shop as a little girl when downtown shopping with my mother. Their window displays were very creative. But Mom would never purchase any stockings there because she thought they were of poor quality. Mom always bought name brand seconds in Filene's Basement.  

I started shopping at Albert's in 1973 when I was out of college and in my first office job. I had just switched back to wearing stockings on a daily basis and found the selection of styles and colors in Albert's to be incredible! The two older ladies who ran the shop were delighted that a young lady like me was going back to gartered stockings and even seams. They even had a sign in the window that said "Albert's have stockings with seams". 

Each Albert's style had a name. My most frequent purchases were the Velvetized RH&Ts I wore daily to work. I also loved their "Classic" 15 denier FFNs and their "Favorites" 30 denier FFNs which wore like iron. I'm still puzzled by my mom's dislike of Albert's hosiery as I always found them to be of extremely high quality. Their "Classic" FFNs in jet black were the most beautiful nylons I have ever worn. 

I remember both Boston stores closing around 1981, but I could be wrong about that. I believe they stayed open much longer elsewhere. I remember purchasing stockings at their Grand Central Station store in New York as late as 1990 or so. 

Karen

By the way, the Primrose shop, seen in the photo next door to Albert's sold lovely (and rather old fashioned) lingerie and foundation wear. I loved that shop too! I think it was owned by Alberts but I'm not sure of that. 

Karen

Hi Pat and All.

Karen brings on an interesting point. Her mother claimed issues with Albert's quality. My experience with Albert's admittedly is considerably less, being that of an admiring observant watcher as opposed to a wearing consumer. Having had more than a few Albert's pass through my hands I am able to attest that the quality was considerable though unfortunately not entirely consistent. My understanding has that Albert's employed a number of different mills at different times which I'll assume to be the genesis for this. I am not vested well with Albert's history and have no actual context for time lines involved though I do know that some examples were indeed better by far than others. Overall, Albert's were generally of a higher caliber, even those in micro mesh. As one very visually oriented and a fan of "welt art" I have seen and still have some Albert's with the imprint/logo to be quite lacking and on occasion the reinforcements were not even between stockings (which were usually three pair in a box.) Again, I admit limitations with my knowledge bank and Karen's is far my better in this regard as she stated Albert's did produce pantyhose/tights in plain flat knit and  to my knowledge Hane's never did. I also may stand corrected on that though I've never had the chance to have pass through my hands or even eyes pantyhose/tights in a plain flat knit weave and the samples to exist I'd surmise to mighty few. Karen's mother had the right idea as almost all brands offered "imperfect" wares that to the average sort were not noticeable and Hane's in particular would produce much product for "other" names in the business (Can't Tell and Beauty Mist are two that come to mind) and savvy shoppers could get basically brand name hosiery under a different name for very reasonable prices. That practice is still alive though not quite as common. An example I used before had that I bought a Gibson SG guitar long ago that had cosmetic flaws in the finish (mostly on the backside) at about half price of one new (when they retailed for about $325 US) which considering the minimum wage then was about $1.25 represented a big chunk of change. Nylon stockings in the day were also a grand outlay (pantyhose/tights cost a real  lot at first) though it was possible to obtain great legwear and still have cash left were someone to know where to look. To close, Albert's had some great stores along with the likes of Lady Orva, Parklane and others and I'll admit that being a young buck in the day I'd feel a tad out of place when I went in one. However, I do have fond memories...

Best, 

Dworkin 

Hi All:

I did a bit of research last night on Albert's and found out that at their peak in the 1970s, they had 50 stores around the US. They sold out to Parklane Hosiery in early 1989. I'm quite sure the Boston locations closed earlier than that but I probably visited their Grand Central location in NY around 1989. As I think further about it, I seem to recall that they were having some sort of a liquidation sale. I bought several boxes of Classic 15 denier FFNs in assorted colors which I still have. Seems like yesterday but it was almost 30 years ago!

Regarding flat knit pantyhose, they were definetly available at Albert's in both seamless and seamed styles. I bought several pair of the seamed variety in the mid 1970s when seams were coming back into style during the disco craze.  As I recall the fit was rather poor and they became baggy and saggy after a few wearings. That's probably why most hosiery manufacturers never made 100% nylon, flat knit pantyhose. The ones I had were actually seamless pantyhose with a thick black faux seam sewn on...rather a blatant look, I thought. But when seams first came back around 1975, that's the style everyone wore. I wanted to be a part of it so that's what I first bought. But I quickly switched to real FFN stockings which fit far better, were prettier, cheaper and MUCH easier to put on. Getting seams straight on gartered stockings is quite easy for me, but achieving straight seams with pantyhose is quite a chore. And it has to be re-done with each visit to the rest room, LOL!

Karen

Memories for sure. San Francisco had a store around the Union Square area, also a store in a large shopping mall south of San Francisco. Many visits there for sure. Miss the girls at the glass display counter with all those boxes of stockings behind them that helped me.

Wow, this is older school for sure!  Could be 1980 so I'll say the ladies from Boston know their stuff.  I'd guess this shop was there many years earlier also?  First off we are looking at an Alberts & Primrose Hosiery shop on a cobblestone street.  We had the exact same shops on the South side!  These were very popular stores and were all over everywhere.  Look at the Soul Sister! Look between the bottom of her hair and her right shoulder.  There is the beginning of a capitol "P" there.  Now look just below her shoulder! See the "mrose"!   Gives us Primrose!  It could very well be a WoolWorth store or a Vintage G.Fox building in the Hartford, Connecticut area.  Which is close enough to Boston because the Fox company expanded all over the east.  The man and woman walking offer some 1965-1980  hints.  The man has the longer hair of the Beatles days.  The woman appears to be wearing some type of sandals and balloon pants with a no sleeve blouse.  Kind of a Hippie look?  Looks like she's having a smoke or blowin a bone?  That was Detroit lingo for a cigarette or reefer!  It's a great photo that lit the fires of my youth!  I lived this in Chicago!

This is beyond Excellent!  It's hosiery history!  Many Thanks leggypat!