Sign in to follow this  
like your seams

"Black Friday"

15 posts in this topic

Just using the title as a convenient term. It is now 50 years this month since tights came on the market. I suppose we fellows are partly to  blame, wanting skirts to get shorter but we couldn't foresee the drastic hosiery consequences.

what "drastic" consequences?  

I'm sorry but as much as I adore stockings and the ladies that adorn them I really do believe there's a place in this world for SHEER tights especially if a Lady is prepared to shorten her skirt/dress a little to show them off.

Tights are not the devil's work, they are the work of dedicated workers who ply their trades honestly to produce a commodity that is essential to some and can be glamorous.

Make no mistake about it though, they will never ever replace stockings in the #1 position in the glamour and tease world or for atheistic value. But, they can be nice!

KaF
:58674be0c2f40_EmojiSmiley-06:

personally and like so many i see no problems with tights and the ladies that choose to wear them , everything has it's time and place .

I'm not sure when tights hit the market in the UK, but in the US, they were introduced in 1959. They were called Glen Raven Panti Legs and were the invention of Glen Raven President Alan Gant. They were initially available only in fully fashioned seamed style, but soon, seamless Panti Legs became available. Sears was a major marketer of these first pantyhose, marketing them under their own brand. 

I received my first pair of pantyhose as a gift in 1964. I was excited to try them but quickly found them to be an uncomfortable nusance. I went right back to wearing gartered stockings and did not return to pantyhose until late 1969 when I started college. Early pantyhose fit poorly so got off to a slow start.  Only the arrival of the miniskirt in 1965 made women seriously consider them. And it wasn't until around 1967 that hemlines got short enough to get women to actually start wearing pantyhose in significant numbers.

Around here, 1968 was the year of the big shift to pantyhose among my friends. I stubbornly refused to give up wearing gartered stockings and wore unfashionably long skirts because of my stubborn nature. My Mom finally talked me into starting to wear pantyhose and shorter skirts when I started college so I would fit in. I still found them to be uncomfortable and soon started wearing jeans to class with knee hi nylons underneath. I only wore pantyhose on dates or dressy occasions. 

So, I think it is fair to say that it was 50 years ago that pantyhose or tights began to significantly replace gartered nylons, particularly among younger women and girls.

Karen

I remember it was 1967 that uk girls started wearing tights, but thought it was earlier in the year? I actually bought my then gf later my wife her first pair of such, "whatamistakatoamaka" as captain bertorelli would have said! but I wanted to see her in a mini with hosiery. She had been a fan of then "dated" FF stockings and had memorably given me a (pleasant) shock one night coming on a bus to a date in the likes of black sheer harmony point FF nylons, I well recall the attention she got, esp  when she got on the pillion of my  bike to go home showing stocking tops and suspenders. 

Am also reminded of the first time I ever saw a proper mini on a mod girl, can't recall any hosiery but couldn't believe how short it was ! rode round twice for a better look, eventually one of the two coppers patrolling the market square spoke to her, took off his rain cape made her cover her legs and escourted her away! sounds unbelievable now, but perfectly true.

Hi Like and All.

Pantyhose/tights and related garments were inevitable given the fashion clime of the era. They had been around for quite the time before 1959 as evidenced in many flicks though as they were mainly for use in movie, screen and stage productions they were by nature quite pricey and I'd imagine well out of reach to the commoner. Karen is correct about Glen Raven's- they were a flop at first. Heavy bodied, ill fitting, "scratchy" was a descriptive term, they found little application given that hemlines until about 1964 were well below the knee. Can't blame guys for their eyes though I'd venture the main designers of said products back when were probably fellows that also probably did not do a lot of consulting with women, that also given the clime of the time.

There are those to find pantyhose/tights erotic and the early examples that had a longer reinforced panty section along with the RHT factor does hold an attraction and again as Karen has said previous there were a few samples made in plain flat sheer knits (which until her posts I was unaware.) The vastness of the those to go with the mini were initially of micro mesh weave until the wonderstretch fabrics took over. The prices for those first in the miniskirt 60's were considerably more expensive than any traditional stockings which meant a gal working generally for a minimum wage had trade more than a couple of those hours to afford a pair which was considerable investment. The exact date eludes me but I believe somewhere around fall of 1969 Pantyhose/tights outsold classic traditional hosiery for the first time and that is a significant time signature. 

Hope that info helps.

Best, 

Dworkin

Thank's everyone for your input!  This is a great Thread !  I've always been a stockings girl (Primarily)  I will admit when pantyhose had rh&t foot sections they did look hot!  Even ole Elmer Batters, the King of Legmen and photographer of many sexy hot ladies in seams, rh&t's etc, turned to the rh&t pantyhose for something new.

I have to admit I like the look of the (Super Sheer) pantyhose.  I've never worn them but the look of sexy nudity under that sheer material looks foxy especially if the wearer is very sheer!  In (The Right Place) also!  And the Crotch-less Pantyhose which would be something I just might try in my older age here looks pretty hot also!

Like Your Seams, thank you for this thread!  You appear to be a new member so, Welcome To shq!  We can't stop father time so we have to accept things change.  I was eleven when I wore my first pair of stockings.  I'm 66 now and still growing strong.  I can't stop the wrinkles in my mug but I can still wear stockings.  I'm fortunate I'm still around!

I did wear pantyhose for a few fellas that wanted pantyhose photos back when I did photo shoots.  I however have none in my hosiery collection.  Those super sheers are part of my Bucket List.  It would be like wearing sheer panties(My Favorite) all over my Gypsy body!

As Jeff says!  Keep the Faith in stockings, pantyhose or naked!  Just keep the faith and Shq will remain strong!

Many Blessings, Susan:58674bdf747cb_EmojiSmiley-04:

I was blessed with good pins. So I've always liked short skirts so tights were my choice for that. Stockings require a more staid style of dress 

Love all the comments... but bill still calls tights the devils work..lol..l only wear tights when it is really necessary...a doctors visit for example but lm a stockings lady and do agree a lady legs covered in sheer nylon is much better than those false tanned legs...uuugggghhhh.

In Britain, tights began to appear as every-day wear in the mid 1960s, following the marketing of the mini-skirt as the latest fashion fad.  However, tights were slow to replace stockings completely for several reasons.  These were:

Cost - tights were significantly more expensive, especially given that one laddered stocking could be replaced where that was not the case with tights;

Not everyone adopted the mini skirt: older women didn't and neither did younger women who worked in "formal" environments where short skirts were not acceptable - teachers, nurses, lawyers, etc.

Early tights, like stockings at that time, had little stretch and therefore didn't fit well and tended to become baggy and sag. Most wearers chose to wear a panty girdle over their tights to help keep them up.

My wife wore tights for the first time in 1967 but continued to wear stockings most of the time, reserving the tights for the weekend when she was able to wear a shorter dress/skirt.  Even when shorter skirts became widely acceptable, she continued to wear stockings (ones with narrower welts) and tried hard to avoid the tops showing.  She - and other women - were pleased to be able to dispense with suspenders (which they regarded as a nuisance and sometimes uncomfortable) but they had become used to wearing girdles and so adopted panty girdles which they continued to wear over tights even when tights became more secure.  My wife commented to me on one occasion that wearing tights was more like wearing trousers.  What she meant was that with tights the wearer no longer had to be very careful how she moved because there were no stocking tops or suspenders to show accidentally. She said she felt "more secure and less vulnerable" in tights.  It's remarkable, given that women were generally so happy to give up stockings and suspenders for the perceived greater comfort (and other benefits) of tights, that in recent years tights too have become synonymous with discomfort and dislike for many women.

9 hours ago, Fortiesman said:

It's remarkable, given that women were generally so happy to give up stockings and suspenders for the perceived greater comfort (and other benefits) of tights, that in recent years tights too have become synonymous with discomfort and dislike for many women.

Greetings there Fortiesman. 

My take has this is just an excuse as I see and have forever seen fashions that are and continue to be uncomfortable. Thongs in particular are but one example. They may be at home for some but to many but I've heard the term "crack floss" oft enough to know this holds truck. The Sheeple mentality holds that people will follow fashion trends because they have to fit in. That "modern" women curse hosiery is just another reflection of that irony of which you make note. 

Best,

Dworkin 

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 2:32 PM, Fortiesman said:

In Britain, tights began to appear as every-day wear in the mid 1960s, following the marketing of the mini-skirt as the latest fashion fad.  However, tights were slow to replace stockings completely for several reasons.  These were:

Cost - tights were significantly more expensive, especially given that one laddered stocking could be replaced where that was not the case with tights;

Not everyone adopted the mini skirt: older women didn't and neither did younger women who worked in "formal" environments where short skirts were not acceptable - teachers, nurses, lawyers, etc.

Early tights, like stockings at that time, had little stretch and therefore didn't fit well and tended to become baggy and sag. Most wearers chose to wear a panty girdle over their tights to help keep them up.

My wife wore tights for the first time in 1967 but continued to wear stockings most of the time, reserving the tights for the weekend when she was able to wear a shorter dress/skirt.  Even when shorter skirts became widely acceptable, she continued to wear stockings (ones with narrower welts) and tried hard to avoid the tops showing.  She - and other women - were pleased to be able to dispense with suspenders (which they regarded as a nuisance and sometimes uncomfortable) but they had become used to wearing girdles and so adopted panty girdles which they continued to wear over tights even when tights became more secure.  My wife commented to me on one occasion that wearing tights was more like wearing trousers.  What she meant was that with tights the wearer no longer had to be very careful how she moved because there were no stocking tops or suspenders to show accidentally. She said she felt "more secure and less vulnerable" in tights.  It's remarkable, given that women were generally so happy to give up stockings and suspenders for the perceived greater comfort (and other benefits) of tights, that in recent years tights too have become synonymous with discomfort and dislike for many women.

Great story and explains why a lot of ladies joined the tights brigade... but l still prefer nylons.

If "Black Friday" meant more Ladies adorning sheer black hosiery of any description then I'm all for it, LOL!

Seriously though there are some wonderful replies, explanations and stories on this thread which is a real credit to each and everyone that has posted, save me of course.

I really do think that sheer tights have their place in society and can look both stunningly attractive and sexy adorned by the right person in the right way. That may not be a popular opinion but it's an honest one.

Sheer tights are often quoted as convenience and stockings as indulgence? If so then I only hope more Ladies enjoy indulging than being convenient as no matter that I don't and never will regard tights as the devil's work, I think the Good Lord above invented a wondrous person who found the yarn and wherefore to invent stockings.

KtF
:58674be234469_EmojiSmiley-08:

On 9/20/2017 at 4:44 AM, SeamsFFun said:

If "Black Friday" meant more Ladies adorning sheer black hosiery of any description then I'm all for it, LOL!

Seriously though there are some wonderful replies, explanations and stories on this thread which is a real credit to each and everyone that has posted, save me of course.

I really do think that sheer tights have their place in society and can look both stunningly attractive and sexy adorned by the right person in the right way. That may not be a popular opinion but it's an honest one.

Sheer tights are often quoted as convenience and stockings as indulgence? If so then I only hope more Ladies enjoy indulging than being convenient as no matter that I don't and never will regard tights as the devil's work, I think the Good Lord above invented a wondrous person who found the yarn and wherefore to invent stockings.

KtF
:58674be234469_EmojiSmiley-08:

Apparently, as long as the "right person in the right way" is "adorning sheer black hosiery", including tights, it meets SeamsFFun's litmus test. :58674bf0eeb1b_EmojiSmiley-33: