Sign in to follow this  
onesanshoe

Help A Stocking Lover In Need!

17 posts in this topic

Hello all,

So this is my first post, I've been thinking about posting for a while but too nervous to do so.

My wife is quite reluctant to wearing hold-ups even though she knows how mad I am over the whole stockings and hold-up look, this is mainly due to her serotyping that they are for over 60's (mainly stockings) and very uncomfortable. She will wear them from time to time in the house but never consider outside.

My wife is in her 30's and I trust me I have tried many different brands over the years but still cant find the right ones.

I really need help in trying to change her ways, such as finding a pair which is comfortable at the thighs (her thighs are a little broad) and she is petite (5'5). As you can imagine it can be difficult to find a brand to cover both these aspects and also my own preference:

• Black but not too pale
  • Nude more Matt look
  • not Opaque
  • nylon, satin look and feel

I have thought about plus sizes but was worried they might be too big at the thigh and keep falling down.

I have tried stockings but she finds the clips sore and very uncomfortable.

Lastly, what advice can you suggest to try and change her view and enjoy wearing them outside.

All help, advice, thoughts and experiences are more than welcome.

Apologies for any grammar mistakes

Regards

Edited by onesanshoe

I cannot advise on the type of stockings, would suggest that maybe you and your wife go to a 1940's or 1950s's event and dress in period clothes for the event.  Say to your wife that the wearing of the seamed stockings is part of keeping the clothing as real as possible to the period. 

I have no doubt whatever event that you choose that there is photos that someone has taken of any of the ladies at the event wearing seams.  As an example show here photos from Twinwood and Goodwood Revival both of which there was plenty of ladies wearing seams for which there are photos in Facebook pages for these events.  

Another suggestion is to go rock & roll jive classes or events where I have no doubt that there will be ladies wearing stockings under the skirts/dresses and your wife can talk to them as to what it is like to wear them. Then just allow her to feel comfortable wearing them on a more regular basis.     

My girlfriend is also in her 30's and wears stockings after switching from tights. She usually wears Fiore. But wears other brands too, mostly for work and going out

Apparently the Fiore ones aren't that expensive, I asked her, she said they do for work. At the end of the day women I've dated go through tights like most do chocolate. So I just bought them quite a few pairs and in the end they started wearing them once they ran out of tights. Over time she got use to wearing them and now buys them herself. Plus the added chat that she was wasting more money buying tights when she has to throw the pair away if she ladders one leg, if she ladders one leg of stockings she would be able to just take another from another pack of the same brand and carry on wearing with less wastage. The last few girls I've dated apart from one started wearing stockings and they probably still do that today.

Edited by tradesman

(her thighs are a little broad) and she is petite (5'5).

Here is the issue. One cannot be petite with big thighs. Petite doesn't mean short. It means small and dainty. Which means slim. 

If you mean short with big thighs; ie, overweight and not very tall, better to say so in order that you get the right advice. 

Better still post her dress size and/or trouser size, it is the only way you will get accurate advice. 

Here is the issue. One cannot be petite with big thighs. Petite doesn't mean short. It means small and dainty. Which means slim. 

If you mean short with big thighs; ie, overweight and not very tall, better to say so in order that you get the right advice. 

Better still post her dress size and/or trouser size, it is the only way you will get accurate advice.

Really.......

Not sure how clothes are sized where you shop MG, but petites here generally indicates sized for 5'4" and shorter, doesn't really imply anything about bust, hips, waist, or thighs. Don't confuse dictionary definition with marketing keywords.

There is also plenty of confident women within Instagram pages of all ages where they also show what stockings/lingerie that they wear and were it can be obtained.  Maybe show your wife some of these Instagram sites, to show her that stockings are worn by ladies of all ages.  Many of Instagram sites that I have read, the ladies state that they actually feel more comfortable wearing stockings once they have got used to them, than they are with wearing tights.

As well as stockings from this site, you have Swanky pins as Annabelle mentions above and you also have What Katie Did as well.     

I was one of those ladies as you describe your lady to be, but I am now fully transformed into a stocking gal. 

Some advice: just like raising teens, you have to tread carefully. Listen carefully to her concerns and quietly address them all. Don't make a big deal out of it.

For me personally, I feel stay ups are world more uncomfortable than gartered stockings. You have to be REALLY careful to get some that have ample room in the thigh welt. In order to stay up, they have to be tight. Tight doesn't work for her.

NOTE: IT'S ALL ABOUT Comfort and Confidence...hers! 

If she's not physically comfortable, she will not feel attractive or confident. Make sure the garment she is wearing fits well. I found that OBG's held my stockings up the best and gave me much confidence. The other worry is "What if they snap and I can't fix them right away?" Get a foundation garment with metal garters, and 6. The flimsy plastic ones give out constantly, and 4 garter straps IMO don't hold the stocking in place as well as 6 garters. 

Once she feels confident they aren't going to embarrass her, then she can relax. I recommend having her bring an extra pair of stockings in case she gets an obvious run. 

My observations: Some women have preconceived notions that stockings are one of three things: 

1. For stodgy old women who refuse to come into the modern era. 

2. Budoir wear not for outside wearing unless one wants to be labeled a "loose woman". 

3. Too uncomfortable to wear with garter bumps to sit on, or they have worries they will snap and leave one embarrassed, and welts that are too tight and cause sweaty thighs. 

Poor Mr.DZ had to deal with all of the above with me as well. I can only share what worked for us, and it entailed a lot of patience, gentle persistence, and love on his part. It also took my willingness to trust him and be willing to get over my fears, step out and try. 

First of all, I am a taller plus sized woman. I COMPLETELY understand about the issues you bring up.  They are legitimate concerns. 

My advice, for what it's worth: 

1. Ok, this is going to sound weird, (or maybe not...LOL) but get her a pair of real sheer silky well fitted vintage stockings off of eBay. NOT stay ups.  there is no comparison to the fitted feel of real vintage stockings. They don't gap at the ankles and they hug the legs. The silky feeling inside the stocking and the feel of the outside is unparalleled! 

That's what finally caught me. The brand Bella Sharmeer has some amazingly soft vintage stockings that fit well. They come in many sizes. Measure her leg to get the right length. Start at the heel and run a tape from there, up the back of the leg, to where you want the welt to sit on her thigh.  Measure the length of her foot to get the foot size. Truly vintage come in many sizes and lengths. 

Make sure her legs are shaven too, because the hair will make things more itchy and uncomfortable. Bella Sharmeer stockings have welts that are lightly stretchy and don't dig in to the thighs. This is very important for larger thighed ladies. 

Another brand is National. Get vintage style 900s. They are slightly stretchy and very soft. The welt is also soft. 

What Katy Did also has newish stockings that fit well and are comfortable. 

It goes without saying that here at SHQ you will find amazing stocking choices!!! Look for stretchy welts and pure nylon. The choices are great here for new stockings you can buy. 

2. Be effusive and genuine in your thanks and praise when she does go out in them. Make the night extra special and treat her like the precious jewel that she is to you.

3. Now that you have listened to her concerns and attempted to address them all, she should be at least a bit more receptive.

4. More than anything else, make sure she knows that regardless of wearing or not, you love her.  In the end, she is more important than the stockings, right? 

5. It's all about HER confidence. Build that, help her find it, and the result will be intoxicating for your relationship. 

Edited by MrsDzineGuy

I can recommend for your wife stockings called "Clio"(French Nylons) - they are fit good and be very sheer and shiny. That they are not falling down and building two many wrinkles your wife needs a suspender belt with 6 straps and metal-clasps(keeps the stockings always at the right place)!!

21 minutes ago, Liebhaber-von-Nylons said:

I can recommend for your wife stockings called "Clio"(French Nylons) - they are fit good and be very sheer and shiny. That they are not falling down and building two many wrinkles your wife needs a suspender belt with 6 straps and metal-clasps(keeps the stockings always at the right place)!!

I second 6 garters!!! It really helps keep the stocking in place! It's much more comfortable when it is staying put!

Absolutely, MrsDzineGuy - for seamed stockings I like more than 6 garters, especially using V-Clips for them is very comfortable!!

3 minutes ago, Liebhaber-von-Nylons said:

Absolutely, MrsDzineGuy - for seamed stockings I like more than 6 garters, especially using V-Clips for them is very comfortable!!

I have not tried V-clips. 

You must try to wear them - they are ideal for seamed stockings, because you can attach the both clasps right and left the "finishing loop"(not directly in them as by normally straps)!!

2 hours ago, MrsDzineGuy said:

I second 6 garters!!! It really helps keep the stocking in place! It's much more comfortable when it is staying put!

Absolutely... 6 straps are minimum for proper nylons.

Rikki xx