David@SHQ

A Note On Forum Moderation

108 posts in this topic

Dear all,

To give you an idea of the scale of forum abuse, there are currently 22,336 banned accounts.

A further 21,096 accounts currently banned as a result of being identified as the source of spam.

Forum moderation is not a joy.

Without specific reference to any individual, I do not have the time to deal with anyone who repeatedly causes trouble, refuses to learn from their mistakes, and threatens the very existence of the forums by their actions.

I have had many abusive emails over the years from disgruntled former members who have been banned for misbehaviour of one type or another.

For the record, I do not have any patience with anyone who threatens legal action, physical violence or retribution via social media or elsewhere as a result of a ban.

I am not impressed by reports of mythical family trust foundations compiling dossiers against me and I am not moved by accusations of discrimination when it is so clearly not the case.

I will continue to work with the police either locally or elsewhere when forum visitors threaten other members, and will continue to provide evidence for prosecution of trolling cases under the Malicious Communications Act, for which the current recommended sentence is two years in prison.

Patience has run out with persistent trouble makers. For the forseeable future we will be banning accounts altogether rather than sending them to the cooler, should more than one stay be required.

Continued abuse of the forums threatens their very existence.

For reference, the full forum terms and conditions are on the sign-up page, but as a refresher here are the selected highlights:

- Nobody has a legal right to use the forum. Participation can be refused to anyone at any time without explanation.

- We reserve the right to remove (with or without notice) content and suspend or terminate (with or without notice) the account of any user who in our sole judgment is in breach of the rules or the spirit of the rules.

- We are not obliged to discuss any decision over the termination of an account.

All that said, we will do our very best to maintain the forums for the thousands of genuine members and we truly appreciate the efforts of those who come here in good heart and make a positive attempt to contribute.

It's a largely thankless task, made ever harder by the immature and ignorant behaviour of the few.

Thanks for reading

David@SHQ

Hi David just a short note ..i think u do a great job on here as moderator ... there nothing like this room over here in Australia. .keep up the good work i really appreciate yr work here

Cheers Mark. (lingerieman)

As a moderator on another site,  I know what a chore it is.

Right behind you with the banning David, some just never learn and won't change.

:) The time of your posting gives us some idea of your commitment.  I am stunned by the level of forum abuse.  The fact that you continue with the forums at all is a source of wonderment to me.  However, I am extremely glad that you do, giving pleasure to those of us who try our best not to upset you!   :wub:   Thank you so much.

David I thank you for everything you do from running SHQ to setting up & moderating the forums.

I have made friends from being here and fully support what you say above

I think all have said what's appropriate above David. You provide and supply us with such an amazing service and it's such a shame a minority appear to spoil it for the majority. Please keep on doing what you do as we love it here.

PB

You do a great job of moderation here. It's never easy to control children, and some are very childish indeed.  

We who follow the forums, can only thank you for your time and input.  

Seasons greetings to you and yours

G

Hi David and the team...

I have said it in person, and will say it here also...

Thank-you for all the 'behind the scene' work put in by everyone involved...

Lisa x

Brilliant David and TEAM. Keep up the good work. It does not go unnoticed!!!

I would like to add my thanks to David for his dilgent control of Shq.

David

A timely post, can i say thanks to you also for everything you do at SHQ, i really don't think some folk realise what it takes to keep a site and the forums running, keep up the good work

Nats xx

Two quick comments:

1. Wow! :o
  2. Thank you David, the SHQ team, and those that moderate this forum.

Dayna.

Well said all,nothing more i could add

This is a fabulous place: I neither need nor use any other forum.

I'm a businessman and I continue to be amazed by the generosity of David in providing the forums with no return: clearly, it is time- consuming.

The overwhelming majority of members show integrity and do nothing to detract from this great place.

Unfortunately, there is a minority who are disruptive and/ or spiteful. C'est la vie.

However, we should remember that we are guests in David's "house" and should act accordingly.

Hello David,  Firstly I'll say it was a grand pleasure for my husband and I to meet and talk with you while we were in London.  You are a kind and hard working gentleman. It's a shame you have to spend much of your time policing and enforcing the regulations on your web site.  You are a business man that dedicates many hours taking care of customers.  It sounded like you live on a minimum amount of sleep or time to yourself when we spoke with you.  It's a damn shame self centered trouble makers attempt to make your life a living hell. Habitual offenders that insist on attempting time and again after being given chance after chance to deliberately make trouble should be banned forever.

To force the Administrator and Owner of this fine web site to have to post a topic concerning deliberate, habitual trouble making is unacceptable.  Bag the cooler or bad boy down time. Kick the trouble makers out on their asses and NEVER let them back.

Dump the mean, spiteful, cruel and malicious people that lack kindness.  Do away with those who are extremely unpleasant and disagreeable.  And forbid all chronic hard to cope with difficult and troublesome people from ever being able to be part of our family again.

This is how to cope with disrespect.  Any offenders that read this and don't like it? Have a nice day unless you have other plans!

Susan

I'll elaborate. David can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that what causes David the most angst, are the constant complaints he, et al., receive, mostly it's about the Boatman, me, or just the fact that we're arguing and acting childish. None of these people, call them 'the opposition', cuss me, threaten me, whatever. They just disagree with me, sometimes vehemently, and visa verse.

For the most part, these aren't mean or vindictive people. I was called 'herr rowlf' the other day, but I knew it wasn't meant as an insult. (I hope it wasn't) We probably do too much of that crap, and we should muffle the sound at times. But no one is made to read it.

But there seems to be a few people, or 'id's', at least that can very easily pull the Boatman, et al, into a back and forth thread, never-ending and accomplishing nothing. And that's when the 'perp' makes the call to the management. These people are the mean spirited ones that cause the trouble. But all that David sees, or maybe all that he should see, is the interruption of his daily routine. Thus, he finally put his foot down. And one of those feet came down on me. :( I would have most likely done the same thing.

Finally, I just wanted folks to know, that in my opinion, there are some people that have a vendetta, or a grudge against the Boatman and can't help but to display each time he returns. If analyzed, these same people are not the ones that interact here on a frequent basis. Yes, I am bias toward the Boatman, but others may see it, also.

David has every right to ban us from the forum when he sees fit, and do it with good conscience. I've always told Tony that David really likes him, but he disagrees........... :D

But I think there are very few malicious people here. Just outspoken and maybe overzealous members.

Just my 2 cents.

I do not understand what all the fuss is about here. This is the internet after all, we cannot expect to post our opinions or pictures here and expect only anodyne praise in return.
If someone is an irritant the are easy enough to block.

You two love winding people up..and on this forum thers are people who bite..you two just reel them in...lf people take everything serious you two say then those people are just stupid...most of us realise that a lot is said in jest..but no doubt if you mess about too much some people tend to tell tales...me and marge just LoL

You two love winding people up..and on this forum thers are people who bite..you two just reel them in...lf people take everything serious you two say then those people are just stupid...most of us realise that a lot is said in jest..but no doubt if you mess about too much some people tend to tell tales...me and marge just LoL

Yep, you got us nailed! It's about time someone said it out loud! :lol:

I'll elaborate. David can correct me if I'm wrong,

About to do that...

These people are the mean spirited ones that cause the trouble....

This thread is not about any one individual. As an aside, however, rest assured that people only get banned as a result of their own actions. I am not going to discuss a specific case in public except to say that your most recent visit to the cooler was by your own request.

Meanwhile, very many thanks to all those who have posted messages of support. It means a lot and an awful lot of sense has been spoken.

D.

Greetings there Folks.

David speaks well and plain. This is not a democracy, it is as stated a place for folks to access info, indulge in intelligent dialogue, interface with those with like minded passions and provided at the cost of time consuming labor that exists at David’s pleasure. As I’ve said many a time it’s a superior place that could go away without notice via simply a few keystrokes. As also stated I appreciate this place greatly and perhaps make apology for a possible lack of participation. Until recently I’ve not easily been able to easily use the keyboard among more and still have yet to acknowledge Birthday wishes.

To wit: I miss Boaty (Tony) and should like to reach him off the boards as his address via SHQ Forums is blocked. As to David, my extreme compliments yet again for making this place available.

Simply, it is great, nay GREAT.

Period.

So, don’t cause abuse or placed in another metaphorical manner, don’t bite the hand that feeds.  

David, Sir, My Thanks in the Extreme. You shall always be welcome in the House of Gork.

Long Live SHQ.

Finest Regards,

Dworkin

About to do that...

This thread is not about any one individual. As an aside, however, rest assured that people only get banned as a result of their own actions. I am not going to discuss a specific case in public except to say that your most recent visit to the cooler was by your own request.

Meanwhile, very many thanks to all those who have posted messages of support. It means a lot and an awful lot of sense has been spoken.

D.

Well then, I stand corrected!

But I didn't know how to reply to your post. I don't believe I've ever disagreed with your management of the forum. As a matter of fact, I may have pm'ed you 2-3 times in all the years I've been a member. Every time I messaged you, I was always hesitant to do so, and conscious of distracting you from your business. I know this thread is not totally about the Boatman.

But I read all these posts that most likely place partial blame on the Boatman, and me.

However, I look at this issue from an entirely diametrically opposed point of view. I feel the people don't realize that it is you that made these decisions to allow us to remain members, to ban us and allow us to return, if you chose to do so. And I've always understood that, and appreciated the parameters that you've allowed us to go.

But at no time have I disrespected you or this forum, and if others think that, then they're wrong! I have been allowed to express my views and 'debate' with other consenting adults on this forum. Just like any other person, I, et al, press the envelope to discover our limits.

I've received much enjoyment posting and interacting with other members on your forum.

And regardless of what people think, or what is said, I wanted people to know this.................and I'd rather not be thought of as a sycophant.

Hey there Ann Arbor!  Dworkin, it's good to have you back.  I hope all is looking positive for you.

Rowlf, you stumped me with that last word you used.  I looked that word up to see what "sycophant" meant.  I only understood brownnoser, asskisser and buttlicker.  I felt kinda un-edjakated win I left dose dickshinharry pages.

Rest assured my friend, I don't think of you like that at all.  Members go to knuckle city from time to time but that happens.  Been like that since jump street but things usually work out in the long run.  Time won't heal!  It's what we do with time that heals.

With Love,

Susan

Hey there Ann Arbor!  Dworkin, it's good to have you back.  I hope all is looking positive for you.

Rowlf, you stumped me with that last word you used.  I looked that word up to see what "sycophant" meant.  I only understood brownnoser, asskisser and buttlicker.  I felt kinda un-edjakated win I left dose dickshinharry pages.

Rest assured my friend, I don't think of you like that at all.  Members go to knuckle city from time to time but that happens.  Been like that since jump street but things usually work out in the long run.  Time won't heal!  It's what we do with time that heals.

With Love,

Susan

Thanks Susan, I needed that. I do get carried away at times, but I don't know what I can do about. As far as that word, I learned it from the 'person' in the above post! :lol:

I just get upset that Tony's been banned again. I've had pm's asking for his email. Now, folks don't want to communicate with 'mean' people.

Sycophant? Isn't that name reserved for some other chap here? I thought yours was Forrest? :)

yuk, yuk, yuk!

As requested, I'll send you the Boatman's email my next opportunity.

Ummm, I don't want Boaty's email

Not to worry. we all have our mood swings..........

Not sure what's been happening over the last week, but thanks David for not only providing these forums, but for allowing a good degree of knockabout banter that other forums would not permit - it's one of the things I've always ebjoyed about OT in particular, and whilst it can be a fine line to maintain, it is to your credit that you have done so over the years.

Not sure what's been happening over the last week, but thanks David for not only providing these forums, but for allowing a good degree of knockabout banter that other forums would not permit - it's one of the things I've always ebjoyed about OT in particular, and whilst it can be a fine line to maintain, it is to your credit that you have done so over the years.

Hey mel, it's good to have you back! There's been phantoms with various ID's, personas non gratis, et al, the last several days. But I've really missed you! Been on holiday? Hmm?

Been feverish + feverishly busy all week Rowlf - plus, Helen's posts don't type themselves you know. ;)  :P 

Sycophant?

It's a trunked pachyderm with homicidal tendencies.

Would that not be a psychophant?

That's a valid point, but as elephants are rarely triumphant at spelling bees, my guess is they'd be easy about it either way.

The trademark verbosity and a querying nature regarding your duck dynasty could be construed by some as the return of a weary traveller.

As always in these parts, proving it either way would be virtually impossible... Especially as Ron reported the demise of that supposed character some time ago in a touching epitaph in the Beaver County Times :(

Looking at all the evidence, I don't know what to think???

It's so hard to tell, I just don't know what to tells youz guys.

My personal inclination is it's that old rascal Horky Smitch up to his old tricks, quiet possibly in cahoots with his ovine sidekick, Sheepwelt!

But if it's true, could it be three wise (!) men approaching over the horizon at this most magical time of the year bearing gifts???

It seems... Unlikely :(

Either way, may you, you bevy of cuties and all your feathered friends have a safe and a splendid Festivus ;)