erhard

How Many Women Wear Stockings?

81 posts in this topic

Hi Taylor and All.

Your deft way with words, a delight and more quite. Let me try the "If- Then" approach here.

If women eschew wearing pantyhose/tights Then wearing stockings is an amplification.

If  women find pantyhose/tights a trite bit of trouble to wear Then traditional stockings are even more of a bear.

People usually think a great lot about how they look in other people's eyes and dress accordingly. Wearing "real" hosiery takes time to get proper, an investment that few lassies care to undertake as it is counter to that "convenience" factor I mentioned now taken as granted. You are no doubt skilled in the art and craft involved and to my mind are far and above the pale, much beyond my ability to measure. You, in today's realm are a rarity. And one wonderful. Dressing is simple, examples exist extant- the casual look is the perfect example. Fine tuning dressing takes finesse to achieve panache. An example I've made times before- no one learned to ride a bike without incidents, nor learned to paint, play an instrument, write, etc. the first time or many. Yes, exceptions exist so I'm talking about the rest of us.

Wearing hosiery, from the simple cheap, stretchy "one size fits all" to FF's is an art, one difficult to learn and certainly master without help. Folks have asked advice much within these pages, advice that once was common knowledge as wearing hosiery was once common. There are things not easy to learn from words in a book or on a display. Could any give direction on how to tie a (men's) tie? How many men today know how to properly tie a tie? I know I could not write those directions well. As to how many fellows know the art of tie craft to me is unknown though admit I still struggle to get  that elegant and proper dimple.  

More to follow I'm sure. Do let this be known: Taylor, you are one I should relish chance to engage in exchanges. You strike me as one to be simply fine company, to explore your insights as they seem enticingly intriguing as you've equally fine mentalics. Of course there are those to believe the same of me. Little do they know....

As to people, sizes and time, great link, one I'll digest later. People over the decades have increased in height and size overall generally due to better nutrition. Back when, I remember food, particularly vegies were cooked to the extreme, to the point a lot of that nutrition became unavailable. Humans evolved due to using fire which made nutrients particularly in plants available which are otherwise "locked up" and not absorbed easily by the digestive tract unless they are broken down by cooking, one reason humans evolved to have smaller stomachs (as compared to related primates) which allowed more calories available to evolve a larger brain. The brain takes a lot of energy to function. More recently, people quit killing food by excessive cooking resulting in most folks in general to become physically larger than decades ago because they had food that was more efficiently utilized and hence their physical stature increased.  

I'm  guessing more to follow. Great post though Taylor.

Best,

Dworkin

Your deft way with words, a delight and more quite.

You do know how to flatter a gal, Dworkin ;)

I think, overall, we are saying the same thing - just in slightly different ways.  While I'm giving gals (and guys) the start of the idea they don't have to be sheep (while being fully aware 99.99'% will continue in the exact same way, but knowing there's a small chance a tiny minority might change, even slightly), you're looking at it from the perspective of the majority who will not ever change, which isn't a bad thing.  Different strokes and all that ;)

I wear stockings every day. Have always hated tights and only wore them back in the 60's when skirts were really short.

Now I wear stocking daily and don't own a pair of tights and have not done so for many years.

Suspenders are not comfortable - ladies comments please - this is like a dagger to the heart!!

Paul

Hi I wear stockings almost everyday, I don't own a pair of tights. I agree with another post on here that it may be that if ladies are not comfortable wearing stockings it may be because they are wearing the wrong size or type of suspender belt for them. Most suspenders in high street stores are not meant for everydday wear, they are for "bedroom" use or for a night out, I can understand if that is a womans only experience of stockings that would not induce you to wear them more often. I personally, and everyone is different ,wear a rago pull on suspender belt for everyday, no hooks or eyes at back and I forget I have it on.

Well if I'm wearing a skirt or dress, I wear stockings. That would mean in a normal week I am wearing stockings for 4 days at a minimum. I love the feel of them, even more since buying a six strap suspender belt. Love the looks W gives me when I'm wearing, and the looks I get when wearing seams or giving an accidental or intentional flash.

V xx

I think this would vary from country to country and from area to area. It's going to be hard without large and expensive surveys to know how many women wear stockings.

I suppose a good place to start would be stockings sales since most wearers will be woman. That would give you an idea.

I wear stockings most days. Seams in the evening and weekends out and about. They are comfortable for all day wear you just have to wear at least a six strap but eight or more is better and they have to be adjusted right (touchable website show you how to do this). Sue x

Due to my job I have to wear trousers but tend to wear tan nylons when out shopping or just out and about...keep my nice nylons for special occasions or for doing pictures. Find ff nylons slip down too easy so often wear Charnos 24/7 throughout the day...great for staying up

I wear stockings every day. Have always hated tights and only wore them back in the 60's when skirts were really short.

Now I wear stocking daily and don't own a pair of tights and have not done so for many years.

Lovely photo sets.  Welcome back.

I only wish more women out there enjoyed wearing stockings. I can imagine that perhaps they're not the most practical items to wear day to day but when it comes to the bedroom I find it a huge turn on when a woman likes to dress up! 

In my experience with the ladies in my life there are precious few out there wearing. The wife knows my deep affection for stockings, but does not wear (uncomfortable, plus she is not into dress up). She has passed comment to our social groups that she might wear them if she crashes the car, two cars later I am still waiting!

The general love of stockings/holdups for men is obvious, the lack of women wearing must be a sign of something broad. I would expect a large portion of females find tights a safer, easier option on days they look for a leg covering option,  catering for nosey men is secondary at best.

The ones that dress to impress men (thank the Lord) hopefully get a kick from the looks, it certainly makes them stand out.

I feel very fortunate as Mrs JS tends to wear stockings most evenings & at the weekend. She always wears them when we go out to dinner or to friends for the evening.

I think originally she did it as much for me as for herself but since she retired from full time employment ( she used to generally wear tights when going out without me) now has tended to wear stockings whilst on evenings out with her ex work colleagues or to ladies evenings at our golf club etc.

Almost everyday, unless it's not practical for my job.   There's nothing like the feel of real nylons.  They make you feel so special and of course if you have an appreciative partner all the better.   They should of course be worn with heels .  The feel of a short pleated skirt skimming the tops of your thighs with the risk of a gust of wind can't be beaten and of course a tight fitting dress with a hint of bumps .    The summer and shorts pose a problem, but this year I intend to wear my tiny denim shorts with my suspenders and stockings underneath I'm hoping the look of showing your straps and stockings under your shorts will be appreciated .  

Here in Canada -and I think I can safely speak for the whole of it - that nylons in general is not a common article of wear. Why is that? I don't have an answer, only that I am probably one of the few in a small percentage that still enjoys wearing pantyhose or stockings. It may be a 'generation' thing, but I certainly feel better wearing nylons - my legs look great, which makes me feel great. It is  quite sad to see the disintegrating amount of stock and variety that is to be found in stores nowadays. I treasure every pair of nylons I have now that they are becoming more and more rare to find.

Sadly I Have Found To My Real Disapointment Not A Lot Of Women Wear Stockings Or Even Tights (Jings I Hate That Word ) I Honestly Cant Remember The Last Time She Who Must Be Obeyed Wore Stockings , She Used To Wear All The Time But Not Nomore, Really Quite Sad When You Consider How Feminine A Woman Looks In Stockings And Heels , 

9 hours ago, Mrs sandyseams said:

The summer and shorts pose a problem, but this year I intend to wear my tiny denim shorts with my suspenders and stockings underneath I'm hoping the look of showing your straps and stockings under your shorts will be appreciated .  

It most certainly would be appreciated here if you shared it!

You sound like a really sexy teaser.

KtF
:58674be234469_EmojiSmiley-08:

Hi all.

I either wear hold ups or stockings. I own pairs of fishnet tights but that's it. I have also tried hold ups with a suspender belt in an effort to stop the 'roll down'  effect. 

I've enjoyed reading the comments, and for my situation here in Sweden it is this. Most stores including department stores  have a hosiery / underwear section but they are filled with a poor variety of 'own brand'  tights. Do not expect a range of colours or styles.

Hold ups, again own brand , are maybe 5% of the total stock. Actual stockings that require a suspender belt are almost non existent in high street shops.

Pretty much all of my hosiery needs are now done via online shopping. 

The reaction from work colleagues has been on the most part, positive and interesting. 

To touch briefly on fashions, with one contributor saying that nothing fits properly, I would agree.  However this is the price we pay for buying things off the rack. To get anything to look great , I've always tried to find a seamstress who can do alterations for me. Unfortunately this vocation seems to be dying out too as we live in a 'convenience ' world.

I will always make the effort to look my best, both in my work life and personal life.

Thank you for such an interesting site, with some lovely people.

Just as an addendum to my previous post, last night Mrs JS & myself went out for a very informal meal but she wanted to wear a skirt and nice top that were complementedwith 10d black Charnos  Elegance stockings and stiletto heels.

A lot of thoughts and thinking by so many on this active topic. I tend to agree that fashion and society pressure is what so many people follow in their dress and what is "acceptable".

However I find it very interesting that women like Susan, and the majority of the other women posting here, find that they live in the moment when they wear stockings and/or are appreciated by their partners when they do. Living in the moment in life is what is important when it comes to experiencing life and enjoying life. When you read these women express what they feel or their point of view on wearing stockings you can sense that it is driven by the feeling they have or living in the moment. 

For the discussion on the reasons or thoughts of the majority of non wearing women it appears that many never would consider trying it (younger women), or why take the time and effort as they are too busy (missing life as it passes them by in more ways than with just stockings), or they never would envision or consider that maybe there is a benefit in how they might feel to give stockings a try (as in the phrase to stop and smell the roses so to speak).

So when I read the comments by women that are here in the forum or on this topic that wear stockings, it may not be a daily thing, but it is along the lines of living in the moment and it gives them a feeling that they are aware of and adds to their feeling, experience, and awareness in doing so. Be it within themselves or in combination with their partner.

Food for thought?

On 4/7/2017 at 3:56 AM, eleganceisnice said:

A lot of thoughts and thinking by so many on this active topic. I tend to agree that fashion and society pressure is what so many people follow in their dress and what is "acceptable".

However I find it very interesting that women like Susan, and the majority of the other women posting here, find that they live in the moment when they wear stockings and/or are appreciated by their partners when they do. Living in the moment in life is what is important when it comes to experiencing life and enjoying life. When you read these women express what they feel or their point of view on wearing stockings you can sense that it is driven by the feeling they have or living in the moment. 

For the discussion on the reasons or thoughts of the majority of non wearing women it appears that many never would consider trying it (younger women), or why take the time and effort as they are too busy (missing life as it passes them by in more ways than with just stockings), or they never would envision or consider that maybe there is a benefit in how they might feel to give stockings a try (as in the phrase to stop and smell the roses so to speak).

So when I read the comments by women that are here in the forum or on this topic that wear stockings, it may not be a daily thing, but it is along the lines of living in the moment and it gives them a feeling that they are aware of and adds to their feeling, experience, and awareness in doing so. Be it within themselves or in combination with their partner.

Food for thought?

Can I like this 5 thousand times??? I'm not sure I need to add to the above, but I do have more thoughts when I am not on my teeny iPhone. 

Edited by MrsDzineGuy

1 hour ago, MrsDzineGuy said:

Living in the moment in life is what is important when it comes to experiencing life and enjoying life. When you read these women express what they feel or their point of view on wearing stockings you can sense that it is driven by the feeling they have or living in the moment. 

This, this, a thousand times this!! 

Until I understood the concept of living in this very moment and experiencing life NOW, I didn't get this. When I am wearing a stockings/suspender belt combo or a nice long line bra and OBG with stockings, I walk differently. There's a feeling every moment that I am aware of the stockings - how they feel; how the garter tab pulls and pushes depending on which way my leg moves; the welt as it bends on my thigh. I just feel more alive!!

From discussing this issue with a select few friends I concur with much of the above posters. A lot of women feel like they're just a bother; a nuisance that panty hose finally got out of their lives. My Mom DESPISED stockings, girdles, and the like and felt like a liberated woman when she was finally able to pull on a pair of panty hose and let her hips jiggle in freedom. Women who HAD to wear them seem to have a hatred for them - as if they were holding them down and back and controlling them, and couldn't wait to be in control of their own body again. They ditched those stockings and girdles faster than you could blink an eye! 

Younger girls, so I see, seem to only look at stockings as a rock and roll fashion statement or sexually charged. When our daughter saw a pair of my stockings, at first she was SHOCKED - 'MOM???? You wear those?????". I explained to her about the different choices of hosiery and why I chose what I chose, and she finally saw that they weren't just sex toys, but a real enjoyable form of clothing. She DESPISES panty hose and won't wear them or tights. When I told her about the stockings and suspender belt styles she said, "Mom, I"ll probably choose those then, I hate the way panty hose and tights feel between my legs! " 

The group of women I hang out the most with are Moms - and I can tell you that Moms don't have time (actually don't make time) for nonsense like belts and garters. They're lucky to get clean clothes on and a shower. They don't take time for themselves.  

Then you have the ladies who just want to be comfortable and they don't see them as being comfortable in any way shape or form. 

They all just don't know what they are missing...and I didn't know what *I* was missing for a while, but I'm glad I'm firmly ensconced in the wear camp! 

I am lucky to be with a woman who wears daily and sometimes even nightly. She loves her girdles and her stockings and I do not complain.

On 2/7/2015 at 5:45 AM, darkangel66 said:

Hi I wear stockings almost everyday, I don't own a pair of tights. I agree with another post on here that it may be that if ladies are not comfortable wearing stockings it may be because they are wearing the wrong size or type of suspender belt for them. Most suspenders in high street stores are not meant for everydday wear, they are for "bedroom" use or for a night out, I can understand if that is a womans only experience of stockings that would not induce you to wear them more often. I personally, and everyone is different ,wear a rago pull on suspender belt for everyday, no hooks or eyes at back and I forget I have it on.

Yes!!! MrDZ kept telling me to not wear the flimsybedroom attire suspender belts because they will let go, and they always did!!!  I was wearing the wrong type and wrong size. When I hog true foundations, good garter tabes, and truly vintage stockings, I was hooked! 

On 12/31/2014 at 12:13 AM, Alteredbhoy said:

I was thinking about this thread at lunchtime today.  I was having a coffee  in a town centre cafe in Sleaford and just staring out of the window into the main street (for those who don't know Sleaford, it is a one street town centre). 

There are about 15,000 residents in Sleaford of whom I would estimate half are females.  Of these 7,500 females probably 30% are either children or geriatric.  Of the 5,250 remaining women, I would estimate that 80% wear trousers on a daily basis.  Of the 1,050 skirt wearing women probably 80% at this time of year wear opaque tights or leggings - in the summer the same proportion are bare legged.  This leaves 210 hosiery wearing ladies.

In the local supermarkets the shelf space given to tights as opposed to stockings or hold ups is probably in the proportion of 19:1. 

Which would suggest there maybe as many as 4 ladies wearing stockings on any day in a town of 15,000 residents.  On those sort of ratios, it is unlikely that we would encounter a stocking wearing lady, let alone get a glimpse or sighting.

On this basis I came to the conclusion that the two definite sightings I have had in Sleaford in eight years are a very good return!

Fantastic statistical analysis!

Unfortunately someone has convinced the ladies that bare legs look far better than hosed legs.  I think they need to go to Specsavers!

28 minutes ago, 15denierjo said:

Unfortunately someone has convinced the ladies that bare legs look far better than hosed legs.  I think they need to go to Specsavers!

I think said person should be strung up...the bare leg/trouser revolution has got well and truly out of hand. When we are out and about we rarely see hosiery ever mind seams. Lady S is quite often the only one I see wearing any kind of hosiery (apart from thick black tights) Lady S always wears hosiery (Gio FFN's) and I really am thankful for it. Sadly I do not think this situation will improve and females will continue to dress this way and not look "ladylike" at all. 

1 minute ago, Lord Seaton said:

I think said person should be strung up...the bare leg/trouser revolution has got well and truly out of hand. When we are out and about we rarely see hosiery ever mind seams. Lady S is quite often the only one I see wearing any kind of hosiery (apart from thick black tights) Lady S always wears hosiery (Gio FFN's) and I really am thankful for it. Sadly I do not think this situation will improve and females will continue to dress this way and not look "ladylike" at all. 

Very sad times which alas are here to stay methinks 😒😟😤

Very few here in the usa. Most ladies go bare , but that's definetly not the case in this household.  Seems more men are wearing then us ladies if we go by what goes on at this site.

I wear daily, where ever I am going.

I wear everyday. Have worn since I was 14. Unfortunatly very few in us wear anything at all. Most go bare which is such a shame. I think most are just to lazy to bother getting dressed like a lady.

When in Manchester centre (over the last couple of years) I have been doing a rough count on what gets worn as I travel through.

That might take 15-20 minutes and although it obviously varies by weather, the ratio of 'thick black tights' to everything else is about 3:1.

So different colours, sheers, patterened, fishnet or lacy; all go in one lump, but are outnumbered by the plain opaque coverings that I'm fairly sure aren't leggings.

The minority group often numbers between a dozen and 20, and I reckon that this group might be more likely to have stocking wearers in it, than the TBT grouping that predominates.

Thoughts?

Hi

Stockings or hold ups for me every time I wear a dress or skirt, which is most days to work. I haven't worn tights since I was about 14 or so, and that is about 40 years ago!

Kate 

X

On 29 December 2014 at 12:12 PM, OnyxPointex said:

Hello Erhard:

I do although I am 63 and grew up with stockings. I haven't worn pantyhose since I was in college although I will wear black opaque tights to work in extremely cold weather.

I have no statistics on the number of women who wear stockings daily, although I would guess it's an extremely small number here in the U.S.; probably less than one percent. From what I've learned here on the forum, I would guess the percentage might be larger in the UK.

But as I've frequently said in the past, women who refuse to wear stockings simply don't know what they are missing. Stockings still make me feel special after all these years.

Karen

You certainly are special Karen,only a special kind of Lady wears stockings. Very few ladies seem to wear stockings in East Sussex

and I haven't seen any in a long time ☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

Goff

On 6 February 2018 at 8:15 PM, John M said:

Fantastic statistical analysis!

I live in Seaford and cant't remember when I saw a Lady  wearing stockings ☹️ It's always jeans leggings or these dreadful black opaque tights.It would be so good too see a Lady in proper leg wear

gt

This is the problem for those with the stocking 'fetish'. Like me, we need some well worn nylons to enjoy while.... well you know, but this seems to be drying up. I would invite any lady who wears to allow me the joy of reporting back to all, that yours might be the ones that all would enjoy.

With all these lovely nylon clad ladies, wearing daily for their jobs, there must be some that like to part with them when they get runs. Contact me if interested in participating in a new contest 'Whose smelly nylons are the best'. 
If you care to enter this contest, just drop me a PC for instructions..... winner will receive $100, runner ups 2-10, will each get $10.... so where them for as long as you think, to make them the winners. Watch for the winners in the future.

On 14/02/2018 at 10:34 PM, gt51 said:

I live in Seaford and cant't remember when I saw a Lady  wearing stockings ☹️ It's always jeans leggings or these dreadful black opaque tights.It would be so good too see a Lady in proper leg wear

gt

I don't go into Sleaford much anymore, but over the past couple of years I have had a couple of sightings there.  Firstly a mother wearing lace top nude hold ups taking her child to the William Alvey school on her bike.  The second about this time last year was a middle aged well dressed lady also riding a bike but down Carre Street showing the tops of her black stockings.

I wear hold ups daily and stockings and suspenders when I'm slamming it up or partying.

On 19 February 2018 at 7:47 PM, Alteredbhoy said:

I don't go into Sleaford much anymore, but over the past couple of years I have had a couple of sightings there.  Firstly a mother wearing lace top nude hold ups taking her child to the William Alvey school on her bike.  The second about this time last year was a middle aged well dressed lady also riding a bike but down Carre Street showing the tops of her black stockings.

Hi ref your referance I'm in Seaford East Sussex sir 

kind regards 

Goff