9 posts in this topic

Hello experts out there. I have a question for you. I am 5'5" tall with rather slim and longer legs. I would like to get a longer size pair of stockings that would go as high as possible. The question is: if I get a longer size, would the stocking be also thicker in order to accommodate longer but also thicker leg and therefore appear less sheer if I don't stretch it enough on my slimmer leg? Or will the sheerness appearance be the same if stretched more lengthwise on my leg? The problem is that if I get the small size, then it's way too short, and so is medium. I'm afraid to spend more money just to be disappointed again. I know about the denier of it, I just would like to know if the longer stocking is actually designed to be stretched more sideways in order to appear the same as the shorter size stretched less. Thanks all for any insights!

Hi Girl. 

Welcome to SHQ. Still trying to sort out your question which please, take not at all as a slight as after all, that is what part of the Forums is about and with few exceptions, most started from pretty much the same place. My first advice is to consider calling SHQ with your concerns and questions as they are indeed experts.

However, I'll attempt some insight here. Denier and Gauge are pretty much unrelated to length and size. They have to do with weave and to degrees appearance and also affect feel and wear. You need to find that which is long enough to suit your needs which may as you seem to indicate is an experimental situation. One brand's size "X" is another's "Y". Finding what works is a challenge and I say this a lot- once you find what works for you, procure as many or much as possible as they may not be findable again. 

This may be a tad of help. I'll dwell and ponder on this, perhaps to offer more later. Meanwhile, others may chime in as the members here are a wealth of info. 

All the Best, 

Dworkin

Thank you Dworkin. Well, to be precize, I don't want to look like an old grandma in thick stockings. If I buy 15 denier length S and length L of the same brand and type, I want them to look exactly the same in appearance when I wear them. I don't want the L to be super black while the S looks very sheer and elegant (but barely stretched passed my knee) in comparison. Again, assuming I am comparing both that are black. Hope that helps....

Hi Again Girl.

Still in mull and ponder mode- I do that often until at some point there is a clarity and sometimes that means never. However, in a nutshell, all things being equal Denier and Gauge have little to do with length and size. It does make a diminutive difference though from your described physique, for you it should not matter. Higher Gauge offers a tighter weave potentially being smoother and offering a higher snag resistance and potentially longer wear and up to a point could look "thicker" but not like heavy opaques and the like. Lighter Deniers are indeed lighter, like a spider web and are appreciably softer to the eye and touch. The trade off has they are more delicate and will generally allow less wear.

You need that which is long enough to suit your needs. My main field of knowledge if you will is with Classic and Vintage lingerie and of course hosiery, I an from that era and Vintage myself. I'd think the concepts and rules to still be the same. You want that which is long (and it is possible to find too long!) and still fit. The situations have when one size fits your foot as you've found are too short or when long enough don't fit somewhere else. To a point you can make up some difference in length by gathering the welt and/or placing the garter/suspender lower in the welt band. This may gain a couple of inches which may make a difference. 

I'll still be in dwell about this so stay tuned. Getting something "right" at times can take considerable time though the rewards may be priceless. Hope some of this info offers insight.

All the Best,

Dworkin 

Hi Like.

Went back to take a look at what you keyed originally and think I understand your question better. 

"The question is: if I get a longer size, would the stocking be also thicker in order to accommodate longer but also thicker leg and therefore appear less sheer if I don't stretch it enough on my slimmer leg? "

​Strictly speaking the only difference in a longer length in the same size is length. I'll use the old classic Hane's an an example. Hane's ultra sheers had the basic sizes, from 8.5 to 12. They came in three lengths indicated by a colored band at the welt tops:  

Blue for Short

White for Medium

Green for Long

​The difference in length was about two inches. This is just an example and many other brands used similar or other methods to indicate lengths. To sate the absolute purists (whom I do appreciate as I are one) Hane's had other color codes that were used though these styles were quite limited and show up on eBay and various other sites on occasion but I shall stress, these were the exceptions.

So Like, for you, the difference in a Hane's length could be considerable for any given size and as you've indicated to be long limbed and slender you need not worry about "thigh bite" as occurs with those to have what I say kindly, generous thighs.  As to what is available currently I admit to being out of the loop. I would guess there are contemporary production runs to utilize the aforementioned length system. I know not from which side of the Pond you hail from, your turn of words indicates you may be Canadian or from the USA. This I mention as sizes are different from Great Britain/Europe and the US though there are conversion tables about. I make mention that SHQ are masters about this and depending upon your locale, a call may work and there is of course e-mail. 

Bottom line, assuming I understand your questions, look for the longest stocking that fits your foot as a starting point. Those that do not accommodate the foot are unconformable to wear- to small scrunches toes, too big and too much slop. And as you've noted sizes are not universal between brands and even sizes within the same brand as they may employ different production sources. It just never ends!  

​I do hope this helps clear some of the mystery and keep us apprised as again I'd bet others are about here to offer help and further bet know more by far than I.

Fine Fortunes in your quests. 

All the Best, 

Dworkin

Hi:

Modern stockings that are sized S-M-L tend to be knitted fuller as well as longer as the size goes up. This is a problem for tall, slim legged gals like yourself as while you need the added length, you don't need the added girth. Consequently, when you wear these larger sized nylons, they tend to hang on your legs and not get stretched a bit as they should. Accordingly, they look less sheer even though of sheer denier.

This was a big problem in the golden era when young girls ( like me) began wearing stockings as young as age 10. Of course, at that age ( and up to 15 or so) one's legs tend to be slim. The hosiery industry at the time addressed the problem with teenage nylons which were knit slimmer in the leg yet long enough to wear with short skirts. They still tend to be available in the secondary market in seamless styles. If you want FFNs, I believe the Aristoc TopTeens are slim knit. But these are only available in vintage shops and on the Internet.

As for modern nylons, I would agree with the advice Dworkin gave to contact SHQ. I'm sure they must know if any modern stockings are knit slimmer in the leg.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Karen

Thank you Karen and Dworkin. I was actually looking at Levante and Oroblu ones. I bought both in L but maybe I should get M since I fall on the borderline of S and M for both these brands according to their charts. Their lenght fit me perfectly but now they seem to look a bit more opaque than I would like. Thats my problem. Or maybe you could suggest another brand that offers thinner ones with the shade similar to Levante Visone? Or even more tan or more beige (I dont like that pale looks of "nude" shades). And of course the ones that are not one size. Thank you both again!

Hello

Iam taking my wife to a black tie gala. she loves the Gio 15 denier stockings. I would like to buy her the Gerbe 10 denier noir carnation full fashion stockings. I would like to know if someone has experience with this brand and 10 denier.

Greetings there Beetle.

I admit to a lack of first hand insight concerning your query. However, from related info from folks here anything less than 15 Denier are quite light and sheer to the point of spider webs. Tell has they are extremely nice and equally as delicate with some reporting they last for about one wearing. I'll suggest that you re-post this question here or in the main Forum as new instead of as a reply. That way I think you shall get considerably more exposure and hence responses. Here, it kind of gets "buried" and simply overlooked. Lucky couple you, my envy. Hope all goes better then well and sounds like you are off to a great affair, on more than one level...

Cheers,

Dworkin