Sign in to follow this  
vitchenso

Women On Tv In Nylons

7 posts in this topic

Don't know if this is the right place to start such a thread ? But at a guess women on television whether celebrities or presenters in nylons are more likely to be wearing tights than stockings ? when it comes to colours such as black the trend appears to be for opaque or semi opaque styles rather than sheer. Is this a current fashion trend ? or do people think its to not appear to be overtly sexual ? Or conversely is the opinion that opaque nylons are sexier than sheer styles these days ?

ok, call me fussy, and I'm not "having a go" but they are not usually wearing nylons, the word you are looking for is hosiery, nylons were  ultra sheer stockings as brought over by the American GI's in ww2 , non stretch and  available in usually 6 different sizes 8.5"-11"  those measurement being the length of the foot from heel to toe end and matched shoe sizes 3 to 8 (tough luck if you had small feet and were tall or vice versa!   these lasted in seamed and heeled versions with foot reinforcing  till  around 1957? then  also became available in a seamfree   version with the "quarter heel" with them taking over as usual wear till around 1963? when  stretch knit stockings became available, both the earlier nylons styles were strictly speaking fully fashioned as that referred to the shaping of the nylons, however most referred to the seamed/heeled (cuban or point)  version as fully fashioned and the seamfree as RHT (reinforced foot and toe) I have packets of nylons labelled "fully fashioned seamfree" 

Virtually all sorts went off the shelves post  1967 when the mini skirt forced the wearing of tights, some departmental stores kept stocks of the old nylons as did those "special hosiery shops" that every town had, lots were sold off at silly prices, the equive of 10p a pair or less! thousands more packed in cardboard boxes about 3'x3'x3' went into the boilers at the many hosiery mills to feed the heating in the workshops etc!

Flamed already LOL  Not a very friendly place in these forums is it ?

Don't know if this is the right place to start such a thread ? But at a guess women on television whether celebrities or presenters in nylons are more likely to be wearing tights than stockings ? when it comes to colours such as black the trend appears to be for opaque or semi opaque styles rather than sheer. Is this a current fashion trend ? or do people think its to not appear to be overtly sexual ? Or conversely is the opinion that opaque nylons are sexier than sheer styles these days ?

Flamed already LOL  Not a very friendly place in these forums is it ?

Hi Vitchenso,

This is a friendly place, so please try not to be put off and you will find lots of things to see and comment on here.   As to your post, I would tend to support the view that most women on television wear pantyhose rather than stockings (that's if they wear any legwear at all).

In general opaques are generally worn during the cooler months as they offer warmth and the opportunity to wear skirts or dresses as well.  Sheers however are starting to make a comeback as they offer new bodyshaping style as well as colour to the leg rather than fake tanning or bare leg looks.

I am not sure that traditional FF stockings will ever return as day wear or worn by a large percentage of the population, but they do show a return to elegance and style for those women who choose them. 

I hope this goes someway to answering your post.

Jackie

ok, call me fussy, and I'm not "having a go" but they are not usually wearing nylons, the word you are looking for is hosiery, nylons were ultra sheer stockings as brought over by the American GI's in ww2 , non stretch and available in usually 6 different sizes 8.5"-11" those measurement being the length of the foot from heel to toe end and matched shoe sizes 3 to 8 (tough luck if you had small feet and were tall or vice versa! these lasted in seamed and heeled versions with foot reinforcing till around 1957? then also became available in a seamfree version with the "quarter heel" with them taking over as usual wear till around 1963? when stretch knit stockings became available, both the earlier nylons styles were strictly speaking fully fashioned as that referred to the shaping of the nylons, however most referred to the seamed/heeled (cuban or point) version as fully fashioned and the seamfree as RHT (reinforced foot and toe) I have packets of nylons labelled "fully fashioned seamfree"

Virtually all sorts went off the shelves post 1967 when the mini skirt forced the wearing of tights, some idepartmental stores kept stocks of the old nylons as did those "special hosiery shops" that every town had, lots were sold off at silly prices, the equive of 10p a pair or less! thousands more packed in cardboard boxes about 3'x3'x3' went into the boilers at the many hosiery mills to feed the heating in the workshops etc!

I know what you mean but nylon covered legs is a term I often use myself and as it happens Pretty Polly are selling a whole range of hosiery called nylons including tights. As for the origional post there definetly seems like a trend for opaques on TV personally i far prefer sheer of any colour.

K

Yes those Pretty Polly ones have been out a good few years, I recall an interesting advert on tv for them,  A Lauren Bacall lookalike who takes off a stocking to use as a filter on a camera,  Also still have  the "paperwork"  from a pair of tights  that "blows my theory out of the water"  lol,  Bearing the name "Lucy Durose Nylons" with a picture of a Victorian girl sat on her mothers knee they were in fact stretch tights bought by my wife post easter 1967/pre January 1970 purely as that surname is in fact mine! AND further investigation revealed that girl was in fact in later life the aunt of the aunt in my name here!