Sign in to follow this  
veryshiny

50 And 70 Denier Opaque Stockings

27 posts in this topic

Bought some Levante 50 denier opaque stockings for Mrs VeryShiny who is 5' 4". She said buy the largest size, which I did, but after a day wearing them she complained that they had fought her throughout the day to become knee highs!

Has anyone else had this problem with these stockings?

I am wondering whether to try Transparenze Sandra 70 denier stockings, who even do a size 4 for taller women. Has anyone on here tried these? Are they any better?

If I can't find a solution she will be back to wearing jeans or tights for our shopping days out!

Mrs SB is 5'7" and has no problems with the Levante 50s being short.

Transparenze Sandra 70 denier stockings are great but, as with any hosiery with a high level of Lycra/Elastane/whatever, there is far more surface area trying to join gravity and plunge downwards :(

Once, at a lunch reception, I had the left leg slide into a huddle around my ankle and, after taking them both off in the loo, have always worn a sussy-belt even with, so called, hold-ups.

Sapphyr, if you don't mind a comment from a CD, I totally agree with you on "hold-ups". I've tried them (several) and "found them wanting". A belt or other suspension is a necessity with any stockings, IMO.

Jeannie

Another note from a male wearer for what it's worth.

I also found that hold ups will only stay up when they are new

After a while, a wash or two and you never know when your wearing ankle wear.

I always wear a garter belt with the holdups

Th only time I go it alone is to get past the security check at the airport

Then I go to the restroom and put my belt on which is in my carry on.

Bought some Levante 50 denier opaque stockings for Mrs VeryShiny who is 5' 4". She said buy the largest size, which I did, but after a day wearing them she complained that they had fought her throughout the day to become knee highs!

I am wondering whether to try Transparenze Sandra 70 denier stockings, who even do a size 4 for taller women. Has anyone on here tried these? Are they any better?

If I can't find a solution she will be back to wearing jeans or tights for our shopping days out!

Hi,

We wouldn't like your wife to go back to jeans or tights now, would we?

My adorable wife has had the same problems with Levante 50 "suede matt opaque" stockings. They seem to have a mind of their own and drag down constantly. I get the same mutterings about tights.

However, Levante's woollen stockings are very good for very cold days and seem to stay up very well. I don't think she's had any trouble with the Transparenze 70 deniers either. They are definitely better than the Levante opaques.

Hope this helps, as finding opaque stockings for winter that will agree to stay up is tough.

All the best,

JSB

Sadly my wife has found all the opaques to be less than satisfactory, depsite buying the largest sizes available, and she herself is only a size 10/2.  They just seem to have a mind of their own and try to resort to being about 2 feet long.  Must be something to do with the materials.

I do like it when she wears shiny stockings and those are usually fine, but they are not really the thing with boots during the day when out shopping in the winter.

I live in hope that a manufacturer will get it right eventually, but by then there may not be any women willing to buy them!

I do like it when she wears shiny stockings and those are usually fine,

I live in hope that a manufacturer will get it right eventually, but by then there may not be any women willing to buy them!

I like it too when my wife wears shiny stockings, and something tells me we are not alone in this idiosyncrasy. One brand she has tried with some success is Chantal Thomass, whose opaque 70 denier 'logo stockings' do have some sheen and usually stay in place for a good few hours before beginning their inexorable drift downwards, albeit not very far. My wife is probably about the same size as yours, and she takes size 2. They're not cheap, around 20 euros, not that easy to find, exist in black or brown but are long-lasting and elegant.

As regards commercial strategy by manufacturers, am I alone in detecting a drift away from all but the more simple designs for stockings? I recently bought some silk stockings made by a company called Doré Doré, that were being sold off dirt cheap on the internet. My wife loved them, but when contacted the company said they'd discontinued them several years ago. Gerbe has also discontinued its manufacturing of silk stockings and has pushed up the prices of its other lines in nylons considerably. It's rather frustrating to see interesting designs in hold ups but which are not transposed into proper stockings using a suspender belt. A pain.

Thanks for that tip about the Chantal Thomas, Just some bloke, I'll have a look to see what's around.  Its a great shame, but women seem more and more to feel that being comfortable is better than being sexy!

Still, I live in perpertual hope!

Whilst browing the web I've seen some Gerbe 70 D Opaques as well as the Chantal Thomass - has anyone any experience with these?

Hello,

The Elanor opaque stockings by Gerbe are warm and ought to be fine for winter wear. Alas, Newton's law of gravity tends to strike again with these. I seem to remember that when my missus wore them out of the packet, they were OK, but after being washed a couple of times, they may have shrunk or something and started pulling down. So size matters.

The Gerbe opaques can hardly be said to be sexy, and only come in two colours, black or brown. At the moment on their web site  you'll find them discounted, at nine euros ninety instead of 27, which is a lot better than a kick in the teeth; all sizes for the black, 1 and 2 for the 'chocolat'. I've ordered directly from Gerbe several times and have always been pleased with the service, but then I live in France. And also, beware, these stockings do not shine; anything but....

When they stay up, my wife quite likes them.

Good luck,

JSB

My fiance had the same trouble with the Levante 50 deniers. She is 5'10" .Searched everywhere for some alternatives. I found these 50 denier stockings on ebay. They are from Missi and they didn't fight the suspender belt the way that the Levantes did. I can't comment yet on how they will do after several washes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEXY-BLACK-OPAQUE-50-DENIER-THICK-THIGH-HIGH-STOCKINGS-PLUS-SIZE-XL-NEW-/380587132778?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14589%26meid%3D6258984413519543414%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D380541074530%26

I have some Levante 50 and size is not good for me. Sandra 70 are better, but the best are Nylonica Microfibre 55

stockings. They are opaque and soft silky stockings. My legs says so and I have to believe it ^_^

Vivi-Ann

I do like it when she wears shiny stockings and those are usually fine, but they are not really the thing with boots during the day when out shopping in the winter.

Veryshiny,

I bought transparenze opaques and found the same happened so never wear them despite them being hardwearing. I suggest you and your wife adopt socks over stockings when wearing boots in the winter, will keep the feet toasty warm but still have a beautiful leg above the boot and you could add leg warmers, the Japanese and Koreans make some adorable legwarmers, if her thighs need to be kept warm too on really cold days.

Mrs VeryShiny has been busy buying Jasper Conran and Debenhams own brand tights and cutting the tops off.  Looks a bit odd in that there's no dark area at the top, but she's worn them a couple of times now and they work!  Don't appear to run at the top because they've been cut.

Might try getting a pair of the black ones mentioned above as well.

I have some Levante 50 and size is not good for me. Sandra 70 are better, but the best are Nylonica Microfibre 55

stockings. They are opaque and soft silky stockings. My legs says so and I have to believe it ^_^

Vivi-Ann

What Vivi-Ann commets wrt. Nylonica Microfibre 55 goes for me as well, stretching 5'6". 

Transparenze Sandra works well for me, but may not for others.

I am still having problems finding some Opaque stockings for my wife that aren't wanna be pop socks.  Could any ladies that are wearing the same all day and having no problems, please report in!

I did recently buy some off ebay called So Diva.  These look great, but were tight around the thigh despite my wife being on the thin side.

All suggestions most welcomed.

Hi All:

I sometimes wear stockings that I've cut down from opaque tights in the winter. Like others here, I've found the ones with a high Lycra content tend to want to work their way down my legs. Trying to wear these with a garter belt has proved impossible. So when I want to wear these shiny, high Lycra content stockings, I hold them up with a zippered, heavy duty 6 garter OBG that's up to the task of keeping these difficult stockings up. Presto...no more problems!

Karen

Thanks Karen.  I too love OBGs, but I can't get my wife to wear one unfortunately.  There's some quite nice one's around, but she a firmly stuck in the mainstream 4 strap suspender belt girl, and anything I say otherwise is ignored!

If anyone has ANY suggestions as to some opaques that will work with wanting to be pop socks, bring 'em on.

Three suggestions Shiny:

Vivi-Ann & Kitty Cat were right about the Nylonica. They do stay up well. You could also do what I did and bought them a size or two too big so that they aren't under so much tension.

Also Levante do a 100 denier equivalent woolen stocking. My SO has them and they don't fight her suspender belt. IMO they aren't quite as sexy as her nylons, but they could be a last resort to keep your SO out of jeans!

The other route could be to treat your lady to the Cervin Liberation 45 denier seamed stockings. They are non-stretch so they won't pull down at all. They are a bit pricey at £27.95, but they are worth it IMO. Sexy and warm :D

LL :)

Hi, I think someone mentioned Transparenze Sandra opaques? these are what I wear in winter, I can never wear one size opaques as they are not long enough, I am 5ft 7 (uk dress size 14-16) and wear there extra large. I agree that they do slip down and just adjust stockings in loo to compensate as I would much rather too long that too short! I also tried Nylonica opaques in xl  and these are good. Found Levante tall size tiny and I am not a v tall woman! They are supposed to fit up to 5ft 10. The other ones I find good are form Figleaves there shiny 50 denier opaque stockings. Great idea about cutting down tights as have found there is not the same  colour choice in opaque stockings.